Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tis the Season

Options
  • 10-12-2017 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭

Two girls, sisters, 8 & 10, knocking on doors at 8pm, in freezing weather, wearing cheap santa hats, clearly cold, to sing Xmas Carols?

With an expensive looking car kerbside, presumably their parent.

No sense of cheer about the thing at all. My only thoughts were child care services and the law around child abuse.

Or could the girls actually have asked to do it? Hardly.

Certainly bums me out, that's for sure.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

They would be getting a mince pie each from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

ArtSmart wrote: »
    Two girls, sisters, 8 & 10, knocking on doors at 8pm, in freezing weather, wearing cheap santa hats, clearly cold, to sing Xmas Carols?

No sense of cheer about the thing at all. My only thoughts were child care services and the law around child abuse.

Haven't had any this year yet, but I used to regularly get them at my last address.

Two young girls, clutching a Christmas log, half heartedly singing while their mam waited in the car on down the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

lol. Aye. Went shopping Sat, turned back and went home it was that crazy in town. So not a thing in the house, not even biscuits at the mo. I did look!

Still ,though, it didn't feel like they were enjoying themselves...

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭BowSideChamp

It's their culture.

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    Haven't had any this year yet, but I used to regularly get them at my last address.

Two young girls, clutching a Christmas log, half heartedly singing while their mam waited in the car on down the street.
    What part of the world? (roughly will do)

• Advertisement

It's their culture.
    Their? These were your everyday garden variety Irish people. Car was middle class income.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Thought the Romanian's only begged.

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Thought the Romanian's only begged.
    See my previous post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Bah humbug

Yeah, a little unsettling. Def had no ring of joy about it. anyway, crisis over, back to my cosy armchair and my wine n cheese.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

It's their culture.

Well that escalated quickly!

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Expensive looking can be deceptive with cars at nighttime.

Expensive looking can be deceptive with cars at nighttime.
    True. But I wasn't picking up any sense of standard poverty, or the 'usual suspects' vibe.

The vibe, to me, was a middle class person, using their kids to gain extra income for Xmas. I mean, they looked well nourished, average in appearance, dress etc. But, the motivation? Not to bring joy to the world, not 'a bit of craic', not 'tradition', not 'for charity' (def not for charity). Nope. Seemed money for Mum, or Dad, was the only motivating factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

These kids are just picking up on American culture and they think they're supposed to go carol singing. Nagged their parents. Who then had to tag along to ensure their kids safety. I'm not sure why their parents had the temerity to be middle class. We don't have enough information on them.

You can put a sticker on your door - "Carol Singing will Disqualify"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Traditionally, arent you're supposed to wait until Stephen's Day for that sort of legalised begging?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Your first mistake op was to answer the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I live in the heart if the sticks..
    This is alien to me!!

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I live in the heart if the sticks..
    This is alien to me!!

I know it's great isn't it?

Annoying kids at Halloween? Annoying kids at Xmas?

Nope and nope!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Agricola wrote: »
    I know it's great isn't it?

Annoying kids at Halloween? Annoying kids at Xmas?

Nope and nope!

If kids called at Halloween here, there mightnt even be a rice cake for the little runts.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

Their? These were your everyday garden variety Irish people. Car was middle class income.

The rock upon which you will perish my friend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

I walked by a group of teenagers singing Christmas carols outside the church this afternoon. They were atrocious, none of them had a note in their heads, one lad was playing a guitar really badly and the sound of the buckets being shaken was much better.

I'd usually say fair play but Jesus they were horrific, people were laughing and looking at each other as if to say is this a piss take..

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    These kids are just picking up on American culture and they think they're supposed to go carol singing. Nagged their parents. Who then had to tag along to ensure their kids safety. I'm not sure why their parents had the temerity to be middle class. We don't have enough information on them.

You can put a sticker on your door - "Carol Singing will Disqualify"

Kinda picking up your subtext, though it is fairly obtuse. But, anyway, as I said, didn't get a "Mammy can we, pleeeeese?" vibe off this.
    temerity, lol. love it.
    The rock upon which you will perish my friend.
    Yeah, but the 'race' component was kinda inevitable. Felt it best to remove that one, despite the potential temerity-ness of it all.
    PandaPoo wrote: »
    I walked by a group of teenagers singing Christmas carols outside the church this afternoon. They were atrocious, none of them had a note in their heads, one lad was playing a guitar really badly and the sound of the buckets being shaken was much better.

I'd usually say fair play but Jesus they were horrific, people were laughing and looking at each other as if to say is this a piss take..
    Aw, that's a bit cruel. If it was a real attempt for charity or to bring 'good cheer.'

Btw, I aint anti fun (really) for example, I really like the Halloween thingy developments in the last few years. There's a real attempt at dressing up, and the kids having fun, and a sense of community. Unlike the 'penny for the poor souls' desperation of the old days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Kinda picking up your subtext, though it is fairly obtuse. But, anyway, as I said, didn't get a "Mammy can we, pleeeeese?" vibe off this.
    temerity, lol. love it.
    '

They may have been more upbeat and enthusiastic at the first few houses. They may have got a negative reaction or two, and it is cold. I just think that it's implausible that their wealthy parents were forcing them to do this to accumulate a bucket of change. That's just my opinion, I know you have a different view.

Advertisement