Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A word of warning for gaming shoppers - SMYTHS

Options
  • 10-12-2017 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭

Similar to the recent warning about Argos that popped up here a few weeks/months back, I've just had a similar experience in Smyths (Fonthill). Basically I was told that Smyths offer a 1 month warranty on an item (a video game console in this case), and after that, I'd have to take it up with the manufacturer. This is completely contradictory to consumer law in Ireland, and people should be mindful of their rights when buying presents etc in the coming days (and obviously at all times!)

I questioned the staff member, and he went off and checked, came back & just reiterated the same line. To be fair, the poor chap was only doing his job & saying what he was told to say so I didn't press the matter...but just to be clear, I now have a contract with Smyths for the item I bought, and it is Smyths, who are legally obliged to cater to any issues that arise in the event of a warranty issue.
    As a general rule, the seller can either repair or replace the item. Alternatively, they can refund the costs of the item or service to the consumer.

If you are not satisfied with the quality of goods or services you can:
    • Return the goods to the supplier who sold it to you (you should not return the goods to the manufacturer)
    • Act as soon as you can – a delay can indicate that you have accepted faulty goods or services
    • Do not attempt to repair the item yourself or give it to anyone else to repair it
    • Make sure that you have a proof of purchase (a receipt, cheque stub, credit card statement or invoice)

Link

So very much like Argos, this appears to be an arm-chancing policy, which fortunately, doesn't affect your statutory rights! Safe shopping gamers!

Advertisement