Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inset stoves

Options
  • 10-12-2017 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi!

I am wondering if someone knows can you wallpaper around an inset stove??

The stove is flush against the wall almost like a picture frame. Would a good quality wallpaper and paste work?

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

I wouldn't. Heat that strong will defo curl the paper back eventually not to mention how the paste will react with the heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Tbh even paint would be susceptible to blistering so close to such a heat source

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Yep, I painted a chimney breast for a customer last week. I told them not to put a fire on but..... the paint split i.e. loads of tiny little cuts. Just remember when paint dries, it hasn't cured.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

No way, you really should have a granite or marble surround, I even heard of plaster around a stove cracking due to heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Phil.x wrote: »
    No way, you really should have a granite or marble surround, I even heard of plaster around a stove cracking due to heat.

Yup! Has hapened around ours. It was painted before the stove went in but plsaster immediately above the stove has cracked There is a granite hearth but I assumed we'd tile the wall at some stage. Are you saying that you can use granite or marble on the wall as you would on a kitchen worktop except it'svertical. When we had an open fire there was a tiled fireplace but there's nothing now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Yup! Has hapened around ours. It was painted before the stove went in but plsaster immediately above the stove has cracked There is a granite hearth but I assumed we'd tile the wall at some stage. Are you saying that you can use granite or marble on the wall as you would on a kitchen worktop except it'svertical. When we had an open fire there was a tiled fireplace but there's nothing now.
    Yes you can use granite as a surround, about 400mm across the top and 250/300mm on the sides, but it has to be in a few sections to allow for expansion otherwise it will crack.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭pakie ed

Redecorating living room want to fit a inset stove. One problem have a timber fireplace limited to what stove can be fitted, anyone have that problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭budhabob

pakie ed wrote: »
    Redecorating living room want to fit a inset stove. One problem have a timber fireplace limited to what stove can be fitted, anyone have that problem.

How do you mean? As in theres timber surround, mantle? Timber and a stove aren't really compatible

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭pakie ed

Yes a Timber Surround. Henley stoves have a 5kW inset model Arklow that can be used with timber.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Have been looking for insets locally. Henly Arklow will fit and 'looks' o.k. but have seen some very negative posts about Henley's quality.

If Henley's bad, what would people recommend? We need a smallish (5kw plenty big) to fill in the fireplace in a room where we've never made a fire (4 years on) and the original owner had used the fireplace, not too recently though, when I had it swepts the sweep said it was in pretty good shape and hadn't been used in awhile (and this was 4 years back.)

TIA

• Advertisement
Advertisement