Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My number with a different prefix

Options
  • 09-12-2017 2:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭

I do not know where to ask or put this.
    I have had my number for almost 18 years now, since i was but a young 'un. In the past week or so i have started receiving phone calls from people requesting appointments.
    I looked up the business and their number is the same as mine.

I was originally esat 086 1234 567
    I am now still/back on 086 1234 567
    I switched to Eircell for a short time (years ago) and was 087 1234 567 until i changed network again, and then they stopped changing the prefix with the network.

There is now a business with the same number but different prefix 087 1234 567
    Is this normal? I have never come across anybody having the same number with a different prefix. But just because i have not heard of it does not mean it does not happen.

The business seems going a few years (i am not sure), but the number was only added to their website on the 5th of November.

It is annoying.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ask the people who call you what network they're with. I suspect you'll find a single provider has a call routing record that needs to be purged.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

ED E wrote: »
    Ask the people who call you what network they're with. I suspect you'll find a single provider has a call routing record that needs to be purged.

The number is now advertised on their website. It is for a hairdresser salon. They opened a new branch and their number is the same as mine was years ago when i changed network for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I know, but see who THEIR CLIENTS who get through to YOU are calling from. Somebody has a vestigial config from back when numbers (inc MN Prefix) were fully portable.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

Suckit wrote: »
    I do not know where to ask or put this.
    I have had my number for almost 18 years now, since i was but a young 'un. In the past week or so i have started receiving phone calls from people requesting appointments.
    I looked up the business and their number is the same as mine.

I was originally esat 086 1234 567
    I am now still/back on 086 1234 567
    I switched to Eircell for a short time (years ago) and was 087 1234 567 until i changed network again, and then they stopped changing the prefix with the network.

There is now a business with the same number but different prefix 087 1234 567
    Is this normal? I have never come across anybody having the same number with a different prefix. But just because i have not heard of it does not mean it does not happen.

The business seems going a few years (i am not sure), but the number was only added to their website on the 5th of November.

It is annoying.

When you changed networks I assume you ported your number with you, is that correct? So if you originally had 086 1234567, if you are porting number it will always be the same, so if you changed to Vodafone, 3, Meteor, etc your number will still be be same 086 1234567.

What I assume it's happening is people calling you by mistake are dialling the wrong prefix by mistake or the company in some advertising, leaflet, etc they have the wrong prefix printed

Unless everytime you changed provider you asked them to give you the same number you had but with the prefix allocated to that network, eg: 083 for Three, 086 for old O2, 085 for meteor/Eir or 087 for Vodafone, in that case your old number with the old provider will be put back in the list of available numbers for that network after a few months, so anyone could be assigned that number.

Advertisement