Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing between jobs

Options
  • 08-12-2017 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi All,

I'm a regular poster on boards but wanted to set up a new account for privacy on this query.

I started a new job back in August (after 7 years with my previous employer). Things are going well, enjoying it. It has been challenging to date but exactly what I wanted.

About 2 weeks ago an old boss (lets call them Boss K)who I have great respect for contacted me to see if I would be interested in discussing a role with a company they started with in July.

I went and had an interview and they offered me the role. The salary was about 10% higher than what I currently earn (not an insignificant amount of money in my personal life). The start of this week I went to my current employer and advised them of what I had been offered.

They have bridged about 80% of the gap and I said I appreciated that and I was happy to stay. I called the other company on Thursday morning, thanked them for the offer and explained I would have to reject it.

I got a call from Boss K at lunch time today (they had messaged me on linked in this morning to say they wanted a chat). They have stated they really want me to join & are willing to up their offer. I have also had a chat to another person I know and respect who recently also joined the company.

Boss K is going to call Monday to confirm the new offer. Is it very poor form to be considering this after I told my current employer I would stay (I have not signed anything re. new salary, I have no confrimed date for it yet but it has been made clear by them that it would be January before it kicks in). How would I approach the conversation if I accept Boss K's offer?

Sorry for the long post, it's an odd position to be in considering my old employer waived me out the door after 7 years despite being a very good employee.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭daheff

Absolutely talk with the other company. If your current company REALLY respected you they would have matched the offer from the other company. It clear they value you, but are playing some games. Also will this mean no payrise in the next review cycle (or 2)?

In my view you also need to look at future opportunities for your career. Would moving to a new company offer better prospects than current job (do you want to progress?). What about workload....will new job have a higher workload?

Lots to consider...its a difficult one to decide. So weigh it up carefully. Its not all about money in the long run (but it is why you are doing a job in the first place).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Was Boss K your boss in your old job of 7 years that you left or just one of the managers in that company but just not your direct manager? Was he/she in a position to try and get you to stay in that previous job?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Follow the money, whoever offers more or better perks/conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Check the after tax difference - 10% gross is never 10% net unless you are under 18k a year (unlikely)

Other point to consider is security of employment. In a new job you can be made redundant with no reason and no redundancy up to 12 months.

Hard decision to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

If you're happy with your job, then only move if the money is significantly higher; 20%+ increase.

Employers will frequently tell you what you want to hear so it's always a risk when you move.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 JobPickle

messrs wrote: »
    Was Boss K your boss in your old job of 7 years that you left or just one of the managers in that company but just not your direct manager? Was he/she in a position to try and get you to stay in that previous job?

They selected me for a new role in that company about 4 years ago. We worked relatively closely for 2 years but she went on maternity leave at that point & didnt return to the company through various restructurings.

It was a great 2 years as I earned alot of oppurtunities to gain valuable experience that someone in my position at that point may not have had.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Check the after tax difference - 10% gross is never 10% net unless you are under 18k a year (unlikely)

Other point to consider is security of employment. In a new job you can be made redundant with no reason and no redundancy up to 12 months.

Hard decision to make.

Currently in the new company 4 months so its much of a muchness at this point. The new company is about as secure you can get. I would always look at net so net is about 10%

If you're happy with your job, then only move if the money is significantly higher; 20%+ increase.

Employers will frequently tell you what you want to hear so it's always a risk when you move.

Absolutely agree, I do have experience with Boss K that gives me some confidence.

I guess how big of a dick move is it to go back on my word to my current employer or is it par for the course in business.

To be clear neither of these are small employers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

JobPickle wrote: »
    Absolutely agree, I do have experience with Boss K that gives me some confidence.

I guess how big of a dick move is it to go back on my word to my current employer or is it par for the course in business.

To be clear neither of these are small employers.

Not a dick move at all. Your responsibility to your employer is to do your job properly, and demonstrate integrity, which you are. You've a responsibility to yourself - and to any kids you may have - to get paid well for what you do.

I would give your current employer an opportunity to respond unless You've decided you just want to leave anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

JobPickle wrote: »
    They selected me for a new role in that company about 4 years ago. We worked relatively closely for 2 years but she went on maternity leave at that point & didnt return to the company through various restructurings.

It was a great 2 years as I earned alot of oppurtunities to gain valuable experience that someone in my position at that point may not have had.

The only reason i asked that question was if boss K was in a position to keep you in that previous company but didnt then id be asking why they didnt value you enough then to try to get you to stay but yet are chasing you now.

Main thing you have to look at here is what is best for you, take everything into account, salary, hours of work, location of job ect - i guess do it the old way and make a list of pros and cons for each job and see which list looks the best. I wouldnt be worried about going back to current employer and telling them Boss K & new company have made you another offer- if your current company suddenly ran out of work or had to make cut backs for any reason do you think they would be thinking twice about you or feeling back if they had to let you go. You need to do whatever is best for you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

I would give your current employer an opportunity to respond unless You've decided you just want to leave anyway.

If the OP goes back to the current employer and said, 'well actually they've countered your latest offer... so...'

Unless the OP is mission critical to the existing employer they'd be foolish to continue in the salary auction and should say, 'good for you, hope you enjoyed your time here.'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Also bear in mind that boss K's firm is brand new and not established yet. It could easily go belly up. How safe/established is the company you are with now?
    You have to decide how much (relative) security is worth to you.

If the OP goes back to the current employer and said, 'well actually they've countered your latest offer... so...'

Unless the OP is mission critical to the existing employer they'd be foolish to continue in the salary auction and should say, 'good for you, hope you enjoyed your time here.'

I won't be doing that, I will be handing in notice if I decide to take the role with the other company.

Also bear in mind that boss K's firm is brand new and not established yet. It could easily go belly up. How safe/established is the company you are with now?
    You have to decide how much (relative) security is worth to you.

Sorry if I gave this impression, Boss K is with a large well established company so it is about as secure as you get in this day and age.

In terms of security I would say Boss K's company would be less likely to go anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

First company only saw fit to pay you what they think you are worth when you threatened to leave.

Thanks everyone for the advice, I suppose I have got the answer that I just need to look after myself and if I decide to move then so be it.

This thread can be closed off now whenever a mod sees fit.

Advertisement