Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

And the award for most idiotic article of the year goes to...

Options

Comments

Ah but shur at this stage journalism is just a platform for any auld eejit to say any auld sh1te..once people click it, even to be annoyed, the paper doesn't care..I recently unfollowed the guardian because of this sort of craic..just ignore it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

Ah but shur at this stage journalism is just a platform for any auld eejit to say any auld sh1te..once people click it, even to be annoyed, the paper doesn't care..I recently unfollowed the guardian because of this sort of craic..just ignore it..

Yes, I think you're on to something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

I'd like to second that - at this point anyway (my Arlene Foster moment) - but I'm sure if we trawled through the Indo site we'd find some serious contenders - limiting the search to Barry Egan might speed things up!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,294 ✭✭✭jmcc

IRE60 wrote: »
    I'd like to second that - at this point anyway (my Arlene Foster moment) - but I'm sure if we trawled through the Indo site we'd find some serious contenders - limiting the search to Barry Egan might speed things up!
    He'd have to take the perpetual trophy from Eoghan Harris's cold dead claws.

Regards...jmcc

The term is "clickbait". Even the Irish Times does it.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

jmcc wrote: »
    The term is "clickbait". Even the Irish Times does it.

Regards...jmcc

Thats when joe.ie does it..when it's the guardian or the indo it's "journalism"..

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭chatticusfinch

It's the Indo, articles are written with clickbait crayon there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

when blogging started any ould eejit could be a journalist instead of a speciallytrained ould eejit. If everyone is a journalist then no one is

It's the Indo, articles are written with clickbait crayon there.
    Hence the phrase "crayon jockey". :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

Perhaps this article could be put in for consideration for the 2018 awards? :)

A few snippets -

"There is one ring and then the caller hangs up.
    Gardai have warned that if you call back, your contact list can be copied in three seconds and, if have bank or credit card details on your phone, those details can be copied too"

"It's a new trick to access your SIM card, make calls at your expense and frame you as a criminal, Gardai warn."

A few media outlets seem to have copied the same story:
    https://www.offalyexpress.ie/news/home/291005/offaly-gardai-issue-urgent-mobile-phone-scam-warning.html
    https://www.leitrimobserver.ie/news/home/291290/gardai-issue-urgent-mobile-phone-scam-warning.html
    https://www.rsvplive.ie/news/irish-news/gardai-issue-urgent-warning-over-11840688
    TV3/Xpose had it as well, but it seems to have been taken down now!

Is it really that hard for them to stick to facts? I'm assuming they are vaguely referring to the wangiri (one ring) scam that was doing the rounds recently, but i'm actually shocked that so many of them ran with the story, which blatantly reads like one of those FB "Please Share" type posts, without doing any checks!
    http://www.thatsnonsense.com/internet-warning-advises-readers-not-call-375-371-numbers/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I believe Siobhan O'Connors article defending Al Porter in the Irish Mirror was far worse.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Any of Louise O Neill's articles in the Irish Examiner. Toe curling, badly written train wreck scutter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

Any of Louise O Neill's articles in the Irish Examiner. Toe curling, badly written train wreck scutter.

Oh ye, she's awful. Like a low-grade Una Mullally - which is some achievement.

Advertisement