Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating controls systems

Options
  • 07-12-2017 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭

Is there any heating control systems that can work with alexa/google home that aren't subscription based and don't cost the sun moon and stars. Even a glorified time clock that can be controlled by the above but i need it to switch 4 outputs i tried using sonoff but there isn't enough time slots/schedules there is only 8. Using thermostats would be a bonus but not a requirement and not an issue to install them.
    I was going to use EPH ember but it isn't compatible with alexa/google home is it compatible with any hubs like harmony??
    Honeywell evo home is crazy money from Electric ireland for what it is a couple of smart valves and a screen for close 2.5k without the grant.
    I can complete hardwiring to any point in the house if needs be.
    Currently i have manual TRVs that are good at regulating the heat required, i have three 2 port motorised valves.

Any insights greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

tweek84 wrote:

Why not buy four sonoff single units

Anyway

SONOFF is IFTTT compliant

IFTTT works with stringify

Stringify has timers

So add as many as you want. Note the stringify timers would only work with the internet available.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

Stoner wrote: »
    Why not buy four sonoff single units

Anyway

SONOFF is IFTTT compliant

IFTTT works with stringify

Stringify has timers

So add as many as you want. Note the stringify timers would only work with the internet available.

The sonoff units i found sometimes like to go off line even tho they might be still switching. I don't want to risk having the boiler and pump running then dead heading in to one of the valves.

Interesting i will look in to that this evening it might be runner,is there much in the programming of IFTTT or Stringify? I have never used either of them before.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

tweek84 wrote:
    Interesting i will look in to that this evening it might be runner,is there much in the programming of IFTTT or Stringify? I have never used either of them before.

It's handy enough but won't sort out your main issues with SONOFF

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

Stoner wrote: »
    It's handy enough but won't sort out your main issues with SONOFF

@stoner you the man I got carried away and had a blast at the IFTTT and stringify two great bits of kit.I really have to look in to these type of things and get up to speed I have programmed plcs and the like but those programmes are way more user friendly. I think the stringify might solve my issue with the amount of scheduling slots I can just use that to do all of my times, I have fitted a by pass to the sonoff so if my internet goes down I can control my heating system via the hard wired set up. One down side I did find was that when activating a flow on stringify and deactivating it didn't follow the rules I had set out on IFTTT but I will be only using that as a portal now so it is not an issue.
    The downside is I had initially intended on buying a google home but with the stringify not compatible with google home anymore I am now gone with an echo and harmony hub so I can use my chromecast

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

tado

https://www.tado.com/ie/

I have it and works perfect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭xl500

tweek84 wrote: »
    Is there any heating control systems that can work with alexa/google home that aren't subscription based and don't cost the sun moon and stars. Even a glorified time clock that can be controlled by the above but i need it to switch 4 outputs i tried using sonoff but there isn't enough time slots/schedules there is only 8. Using thermostats would be a bonus but not a requirement and not an issue to install them.
    I was going to use EPH ember but it isn't compatible with alexa/google home is it compatible with any hubs like harmony??
    Honeywell evo home is crazy money from Electric ireland for what it is a couple of smart valves and a screen for close 2.5k without the grant.
    I can complete hardwiring to any point in the house if needs be.
    Currently i have manual TRVs that are good at regulating the heat required, i have three 2 port motorised valves.

Honeywell Evohome works with Alexa Can tell it to set each Zone Temp etc
    I dont know why Evohome seems to not be considered by many I see Climote,Tado etc but seldom Evohome I have it and as Honeywell are a dedicated Control Company The system is very slick and well supported
    I have it now for Two Winters and it works great

Advertisement