Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best multiplayer shooting game from 2017

Options
  • 07-12-2017 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

I just built a pc, I got project cars 2 and far cry 5 with the cpu/mb (far cry 5 when its out next year). I would like to get a first person multi player shooting game. I have played CSGO a good bit, I like i would like something new.

The two games that look good are PUBG and Battlefield 1. Just wondering if there is anything else I should be looking at. I would be more in favor of realism over quake/doom style future blast everything.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Can I just say your missing out bigtime if you limit yourself to 2017 shooters.

For realism and multiplayer shooter its hard to beat Insurgency,Day of Infamy, Rising Storm 2 Vietnam,Squad and Arma2 and 3 plus their endless mods.
    Insurgency and Day of Infamy both made by the same studio would be my pick of multiplayer infantry based realism.

For something on a scale no other game can even comprehend you should try Planetside 2 [free to play], not realism as such [considering its spacecraft,armour and infantry battling over planets] but realistic shooting mechanics at play like those mentioned above.

Warthunder would be classed as a realism Tank and Aircraft modern world multiplayer shooter also, just has no infantry gameplay.

Battlefield 3,4 and the lastest in the series BF1 sit somewhere between realism and arcade shooter, add in BF Bad Company 2.

I know you say your not into futuristic shooters but Titanfall 2 multiplayer is excellent.

Also have to mention Overwatch for multiplayer shooter action.

Welcome aboard, there is literally an infinite amount of gaming across all genres awaiting you on PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

PUBG is quite good. It will be difficult at first but you should be proficient after a couple of hours.

BF1 is an awful game, I am a huge BF fan and I was incredibly disappointed in this release. Snipers are just so OP, some maps are awful as there are so many players just sniping. Remember, KDR > Objective.

Insurgency is quite good too, it's like Counter Strike, but better :P

Squad is a very very nice game, but still in Alpha and has been for over a year. I am not sure if it will ever be released really.

Tom Clancy's Wildlands is pretty good, but still very expensive.

Arma 3 is supposed to be very good too.

There's tons of games to chose from, spanning the past 10+ years, don't just look at 2017 because of the graphics, some of the best FPS games I have played put graphics second.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

Dcully wrote: »
    Can I just say your missing out bigtime if you limit yourself to 2017 shooters.
    There's tons of games to chose from, spanning the past 10+ years, don't just look at 2017 because of the graphics, some of the best FPS games I have played put graphics second.

What would you suggest outside of 2017 shooters? Older ones or different games? I wouldnt mind getting some kind of zombie game or trying something totally different but I guess I am just a bit stuck in my ways..

I would have played a good few fps's and racing sims from 10 years ago, I used to play in a BF Vietnam and CS Source clan and I was playing different games a good bit in Lans. I suppose Id like something new and flashy now rather than going back to the same kind of stuff. I am loving project cars two, the weather, lighting and general feel of the tracks is vastly better than older racing games.

Thanks for the suggestions anyway, good few there to check out.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭TheKells

Squad is(was? - haven't played it in a while) very good. It all depends on your squad though as you need good teamwork and constant communication from your squad leader and a ****ty SL can ruin everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

rowanh wrote: »
    .... I wouldnt mind getting some kind of zombie game or trying something totally different but I guess I am just a bit stuck in my ways..

I would recommend Dying Light:The Following if you want to try a good zombie FPS with driving, not MP as such but you play it in co-op or 4vs1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

MayoForSam wrote: »
    I would recommend Dying Light:The Following if you want to try a good zombie FPS with driving, not MP as such but you play it in co-op or 4vs1.

Dying Light battle royale mode coming out next year at some point

Left 4 dead for good zombie shenanigans and a tonne of customs content for it.
    DAYZ - PUBG and Zombies together --- well kind of :P well more an open world survival with other players and zombies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Do people play DayZ any more? Is the standalone still a travesty?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Do people play DayZ anymore? Is the standalone still a travesty?
    DayZ still has players, they released a patch that greatly improved performance but the game is still a mess. Vehicles are awful and it's still full of bugs. They recently announced that the beta update 0.63 won't be happening until next year and will actually have fewer features than the current patch, with those missing features coming later on. So yeah still a travesty lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I wouldn't call BF1 realistic, but it's an excellent game and easy to pick up. I've put more time into it than BF4.

When you say realistic, I assume you mean something rooted in reality as opposed to say, Overwatch (brilliant game) or Quake Champions (also good)?

You can pay a yearly subscription to EA Access and there are tons of good FPS games in there. I think for €25 you would have access to Battlefield Bad Company 2, BF3, BF4, BF: Hardline, Battlefield 1 and some other games like Titanfall 2 also, which is brilliant.

If you like more realistic milsim games, ARMA3 is pretty good. Rising Storm is also good but can be a bit frustrating at first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,323 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

one not mentioned here but is decent is Verdun, it's a WWI MP game

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Sight808

rowanh wrote: »
    I just built a pc, I got project cars 2 and far cry 5 with the cpu/mb (far cry 5 when its out next year). I would like to get a first person multi player shooting game. I have played CSGO a good bit, I like i would like something new.

The two games that look good are PUBG and Battlefield 1. Just wondering if there is anything else I should be looking at. I would be more in favor of realism over quake/doom style future blast everything.

Overwatch, while not as bleak like quake or doom, it's arguably one of the best fps game I've ever played ( started at quake 2, Unreal, Team fortress 2).

it's cartoon-y looking but there's huge variety as the teams (6 in each) battle for objectives (defend point A, stop payload, king of the hill). Over 24 characters to choose and split between tanks, dps, healers and then subs of that again. There's a lot of strategy in picking a certain hero over others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Sight808 wrote: »

it's cartoon-y looking but there's huge variety as the teams (6 in each) battle for objectives (defend point A, stop payload, king of the hill). Over 24 characters to choose and split between tanks, dps, healers and then subs of that again. There's a lot of strategy in picking a certain hero over others.

I only took up Overwatch recently, usually I would only be into games like COD/Battlefield/Rising Storm and the like.

But it is amazing. Annoyed that I haven't been playing since the start. Only got it a few weeks ago and since I did I haven't touched Battlefield or COD....or anything else at all, actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Sight808

I only took up Overwatch recently, usually I would only be into games like COD/Battlefield/Rising Storm and the like.

But it is amazing. Annoyed that I haven't been playing since the start. Only got it a few weeks ago and since I did I haven't touched Battlefield or COD....or anything else at all, actually.

ha, I've played since launch and haven't touched any other game, dying to play Pillars of eternity and stardew valley and zelda BOTW... but keep going to Overwatch -___-

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

Skerries wrote: »
    one not mentioned here but is decent is Verdun, it's a WWI MP game

Verdun is a good shooter no doubt, but it's from 2015. Definitely one for people to check out if they haven't played it.

Rising storm 2 is the best shooter I've played from this year.

Love RS2 Vietnam and all of Tripwires previous titles in the series but for years now they still have not fixed the clunky movement,its my only criticism of the games in the series..

Advertisement