Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland has a psychological and environmental problem with solid fuel

Options
  • 07-12-2017 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭

Ireland has a psychological and environmental problem with solid fuel

Did anyone read this in the Indo
    Denis Naughten saying that 1 in 5 homes rely on Solid fuels and should be banned nationwide.
    What is annoying me is that i dont think people can afford to change their setup. So if there is a ban it will be very inconveniant for a lot of people.

Also mentioned was
    'A “substantial” increase in carbon taxes on home heating and motoring fuels is needed to reduce emissions and help prevent dangerous climate change, as well as a ban on coal and turf to generate power and heat homes, coupled with increased investment in public transport over roads, the Climate Change Advisory Council has said'

Increasing prices is not the way to go, If they cant afford to change, the increased prices certainly wont help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

I agree that burning peat needs to stop.

Carrot AND stick is an effective way to change people's behaviour. There are SEAI grants to support more environmentally friendly methods of heating - and in some cases, local energy boards have access to funding to provie much greater support (I think Tipperary Energy Agency are very outstanding in this area)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

Dardania wrote: »

Carrot AND stick is an effective way to change people's behaviour. There are SEAI grants to support more environmentally friendly methods of heating - and in some cases, local energy boards have access to funding to provie much greater support (I think Tipperary Energy Agency are very outstanding in this area)

I agree, i think people should be more eco friendly any way possible, but unless i got 100% grant to change, i wouldn't be in position in next few years to upgrade my setup

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Dardania wrote: »

I agree, i think people should be more eco friendly any way possible, but unless i got 100% grant to change, i wouldn't be in position in next few years to upgrade my setup
    I'm sure the horizon would be a few years, but still, significant cost nevertheless. In my own home, if I had to put in a mostly new heating system, it would take a bit of saving indeed to fund it...not to mention the hassle.

DCCAE asked this questions on the consultation for https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/climate-action/topics/mitigation-reducing-ireland's-greenhouse-gas-emissions/national-mitigation-plan/Pages/default.aspx :
    2. How should the Government support those who do not have the financial means to engage in renovations, for example those in energy poverty?
    I answered at the time that, firstly, they should address the problem where people can't afford these types of upgrades. And then, some sort of Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE) type loan should be arranged for homeowners in this situation, to borrow on the increased value of their house with new energy scheme (and the loan would be paid back based on the energy costs saved effectively...) DCCAE didn't include the suggestion, but they did refer to a future iteration of the plan where addressing this issue would be shown...

Advertisement