Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Home Cinema-Type-Setup-Kinda-Thing

Options
  • 06-12-2017 11:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I'm looking to get a Home Cinema Set Up Kind of Thing for my OH for Christmas. We're not going mad on presents, so I'm hoping to get something that will be decent in the first instance, and that we could build on it, not just to buy some random crap for the sake of it - but not to go crazy on this!

Basically, if we could firstly get a decent screen projector that we could hook up to a laptop, a good enough pull down screen. And then, I realise, some speakers are pretty important for this. We have some old gaming systems which would be fun to play big screen from N64 to Wii (but no tv) - probably should get an old, compatible tv there, right? We'll ignore the pixels..

I'll do my own research too, but wondering what your opinions would be on a start-up setup.

Thank you! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Hi,

It really depends on your budget - for an entry level system you could reckon on €450 - €650 for a projector, about €100 for a pull-down screen, €200 for an AV receiver (takes inputs from your gaming console, DVD/bluray player, media player, laptop etc , sends sound to speakers and sends video to projector, also acts as switching centre, once everything is wired up) and about €200 for starter speakers, a subwoofer for bass and 5 small speakers for surround sound. There's lots of flexibility outside of this, but its the kind of system that would allow you to upgrade bits of it over time if you wanted. On the other hand if you just want it for casual "big screen" Entertainment then you could be up and running for well under €1000 and the enjoyment factor of gaming on a big screen, or sports from Sky or blockbuster movies is fantastic.

I've based these prices on items currently available from Richersounds www.richersounds.ie - they also have a dedicated forum here on Boards. I'm sure similar kit is available from other suppliers but they do good deals for Boardies and deliver anywhere in Ireland, so I'd consider them as "first call".

Hope that helps,

Ritz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xaracatz

Hi Ritz

Thank you - that helps a lot! I've seen the Richersounds Talk To forum while searching on this, and I'll take my queries over there too.

Price-wise - there would be a budget, but it's not set in stone yet - it's just a case of how sensible we should be right now. If we could get something to start off for maybe EUR500, I'd go for that.

I didn't think the projectors would be so expensive - but if I could get one for EUR300, a screen for EUR100, and some speakers that would do the job for EUR100 (I didn't think about speakers until I wrote my first post on this). Would that be a good cost ratio?

Being able to hook this up to a games system would be great. Eventually, we're hoping to get a VR setup - but that might not be for a while. Just not to shoot myself in the foot and get something that wouldn't be compatible with later additions - such as gaming and VR.

Skipping an AV receiver for the moment (good idea / bad idea?), could we say get a Nintendo Switch (any excuse & separate budget!) and port it through a monitor?

Thanks for the advice! I have a dangerous mix of half formed knowledge, and fully formed want! :P

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Hi,
    I have a dangerous mix of half formed knowledge, and fully formed want!

You're not alone in that - everyone starts out somewhere and no one comes to it knowing everything, so don't worry about it.

If you want to keep the budget very tight, I'd spend the money now on a projector (about 400, say, http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-201955-h183x.aspx?swapstore=1 - this is a HD-Ready projector, or blow the budget on a full HD projector like this http://www.richersounds.ie/p-202229-hd27.aspx - this is avforums projector of the year under £1000 ) skip the pull down screen and use a wall (hopefiully whitre or cream) for your projection surface, or splurge about €30 on a Tupplar blind from Ikea (http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/textiles-rugs/curtains-blinds/tupplur-block-out-roller-blind-white-art-90349128/) - these are blackout blinds but function as excellent low cost projection screens) and use the built-in speakers in the projector temporarily or spend about 100 - 150 on a low cost soundbar, or put that money towards a good starter sound system ( reciever and speakers for about €500) down the line.
    This way you get the maximum impact from your budget - in the big screen image from the projector now. You can upgrade the sound side of it in stages later if you want.
    Being able to hook this up to a games system would be great. Eventually, we're hoping to get a VR setup - but that might not be for a while. Just not to shoot myself in the foot and get something that wouldn't be compatible with later additions - such as gaming and VR.

I'm not into VR, I understand that this is "headset" territory, so I'm not sure how this comes into your thinking about a projector and screen etc ?
    .........could we say get a Nintendo Switch (any excuse & separate budget!) and port it through a monitor?

You could just connect the Switch directly to the projector and play it on the big screen - I don't see the need for a separate monitor ?

Hope this helps,

Ritz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xaracatz

Hi Ritz

That’s really helpful, again! Apologies - I didn’t see that there was an update to this thread until I went searching.

Thanking you, and wish you a lovely Christmas. :)

Xaracatz,

No problem, hope Santa is kind to you !

Ritz

• Advertisement
Advertisement