Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should TG4 be prohibited from showing English language shows

Options
  • 06-12-2017 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

I think they should, their dg went cap in hand to the government recently wanting more tax payers money but I think they should only get it on the condition that they stop showing stuff like the weakest link. They could fill gaps in their schedule with programs in other minority languages like welsh and scots Gaelic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Phat Dick

So you think it's grand for the national Irish language station to show episodes of the weakest link from 2007 for 15 hours per week ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Gal2glam

As a non Irish speaker I enjoy the programs on TG4 that are done either in English or Irish having English subtitles. They all seem to be related to Irish culture and history so I don’t see what the problem is

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Phat Dick wrote: »
    So you think it's grand for the national Irish language station to show episodes of the weakest link from 2007 for 15 hours per week ?

That wasn't the question you initially asked.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭geecee

I think they shouldn't be allowed to show shows in Irish!
    Waste of taxpayers money broadcasting shows in a dead language!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

I always taught they were missing a trick by not having Irish subtitles on English language programs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Who, exactly, is going to watch a Welsh TV program in Ireland? At least with Scots Gael some from Donegal have a chance at understanding it, but the audience is going to be tiny. I would like to see the English programs on TG4 reserved exclusively for Irish culture as another poster said. That would be grand, the emphasis being on the Irish language of course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭brian_t

I'm happy to have got to see Breaking Bad and Curb your Enthusiasm on Irish TV at a reasonable hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

geecee wrote: »
    I think they shouldn't be allowed to show shows in Irish!
    Waste of taxpayers money broadcasting shows in a dead language!

You don't know what you are talking about when you describe Irish as a dead language.

UNESCO's Atlas of the World's Languages in Danger categorises 2,473 languages into five levels of endangerment: vulnerable, definitely endangered, severely endangered, critically endangered and extinct. Irish is classed as "definitely endangered."

Some people should educate themselves before they post. Even a quick google can work wonders,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

feargale wrote: »
    You don't know what you are talking about when you describe Irish as a dead language.

UNESCO's Atlas of the World's Languages in Danger categorises 2,473 languages into five levels of endangerment: vulnerable, definitely endangered, severely endangered, critically endangered and extinct. Irish is classed as "definitely endangered."

Some people should educate themselves before they post. Even a quick google can work wonders,
    Good points and I totally agree, but I wouldn't humour him/her, obvious trolling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭iseegirls

You need certain English language programmes to pull you onto the channel, and I guess that's what TG4 need.

If you do by any chance watch The Weakest Link, and you see an advert for an Irish programme for later in the week that interests the viewer and they'll watch it - then that has helped.

For types of English language programmes they show recently can be very debateable. The Waltons, Rawhide and The Weakest Link must be cheap as chips and have been repeated a lot. They had some quality shows in the 2000's, with The OC, Breaking Bad and the Wire getting good timeslots. Survivor has remained a mainstay in their schedule as well, but they seemed to have tailed off on US and UK shows recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭geecee

Good points and I totally agree, but I wouldn't humour him/her, obvious trolling.

My post wasn't trolling, I simply hate the absolute waste of resources that are spent trying to keep the language alive

e.g. At my local Luas stop today the signs for Christmas and night Luas's were all in Irish... For me that is such squandering of money and there is absolutely no requirement for it...And TG4 is the same

Regarding the post on UNESCO's Atlas of the World's Languages in Danger... Ok so the language is not yet dead according to UNESCO but it is dying... so why not just let it die out and stop pumping money into the likes of TG4?

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Regarding the post on UNESCO's Atlas of the World's Languages in Danger... Ok so the language is not yet dead according to UNESCO but it is dying... so why not just let it die out and stop pumping money into the likes of TG4?

Thankfully, there are many people who value what you apparently see as worthless. Language, culture, and art - in any language - can enrich our lives.

And for a dead language, having two books in the Top Ten Bestsellers list in the run up to Christmas is no mean feat:
    http://www.dubraybooks.ie/bestsellers-top-10

As regards TG4, they have consistently punched above their weight when it comes to home-grown output. Look at what they have managed to achieve on a fraction of RTE's budget. I remember comparing the two flagship dramas that RTE and TG4 put out recently - 'An Klondike' and 'Rebellion'. RTE's budget was five times the budget of the TG4 series, yet 'An Klondike' was far superior to 'Rebellion'.

I would agree with the OP that TG4 should stop showing programs in the English language. They should make an effort to buy in more series and dub them into Irish - which is what they do with Survivor.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,299 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I would agree with the OP that TG4 should stop showing programs in the English language. They should make an effort to buy in more series and dub them into Irish - which is what they do with Survivor.

Nothing should ever be dubbed, its a terrible way of showing a program.
    Subtitles are fine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

My post wasn't trolling, I simply hate the absolute waste of resources that are spent trying to keep the language alive

e.g. At my local Luas stop today the signs for Christmas and night Luas's were all in Irish... For me that is such squandering of money and there is absolutely no requirement for it...And TG4 is the same

Just because it's not a part of your life doesn't mean it's not a part of others.

I'm a fluent gaeilgeoir I work through Irish all around the country and all the bits of Irish are great. And tg4 should keep making its Irish language programming as it's documentary content is top notch and it's sport content is incredible. Is there a bit too much English language content debatable but it's a necessary part of the channel

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Nothing should ever be dubbed, its a terrible way of showing a program.
    Subtitles are fine.

These are programs with voice-over where the existing narration is redubbed into Irish, not onscreen interviews or actors.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,299 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

These are programs with voice-over where the existing narration is redubbed into Irish, not onscreen interviews or actors.

Fair enough, voice over type programs or documentaries are fine - I thought you meant the Breaking Bad/Wire type shows that were mentioned in an earlier post. I think almost everyone would agree these shouldn't be dubbed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Fair enough, voice over type programs or documentaries are fine - I thought you meant the Breaking Bad/Wire type shows that were mentioned in an earlier post. I think almost everyone would agree these shouldn't be dubbed.

What's Irish for "It's science bitch!"?

Advertisement