Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Moving Abroad after Graduation (States or UAE)

Options
  • 06-12-2017 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Finishing up in Electronic Engineering in May and considering emigrating for a number of reasons:

1. Financial situation in Ireland
    2. Weather
    3. Travelling

Financial situation: I've received some graduate program offers from 3 top companies with the salaries varying between 29k, 32k and 35k.

After 4 years of college and a strong skill set are these offers fair?

The cost of renting in Dublin at the minute is ridiculous doesn't seem realistically affordable on the above salaries.

In regard to weather and travelling they explain themselves.

My main questions are:

In the Middle-East is it difficult to obtain a job and a visa and where would I begin to look? - Also how long is the visa for?

Similar question for the states; where is the best place to find a job? I know the 2018 Graduate Visa is up in the air at the minute but with some luck they'll open it up again in the New Year after they've scared the people who were on the fence into going in 2017.

Also if anyone has any information on salaries in the UAE and states for graduate engineers they'd be much appreciated. - Looking to move abroad for a few years, live reasonably well, work hard and hopefully save some money in the mean time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

For the UAE, you need a job before you enter the country. I cannot say for certain but the risk of arriving on a tourist visa, spending a lot of your savings, on the chance of finding a job is too big to take.
    Also, in the UAE, from my experience, they look to the Asian Economies to get graduates in general. Europeans come with experience of a few years, I understand this is similar with teachers, I haven't met a recently graduated teacher from Ireland but have met plenty with a few years under their belt.
    Personally, the UK is a better bet to get started. If you join an international company then the possibilities of travelling increase, depending on successful you are.
    Best of luck.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

HowItsMade wrote: »
    After 4 years of college and a strong skill set are these offers fair?

Four years in college does not teach you very much about working as a professional. You need a couple of years work experience before you are of interest to a wide range of employers. Right now, as long as it’s a living wage, concentrate on racking up the experience.

Have you looked at graduate programs in Europe, they are often in English, pay fairly well and no visa required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

they're fair prices starting out in Ireland.... you'll get anywhere between 25-35K GBP in the UK, and in Germany the wages will be similar...
    what you want to look for is increments, benefits, and most of all program structure (does it count towards IEng/CEng, will you be exposed to project and team directing environments, what further training will you be given ....)
    if you're thinking that far ahead, a decent pension matching scheme (basically free money in the long run) ..
    get something with all of the above and you'll be onto a good one

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭HowItsMade

HonalD wrote: »
    For the UAE, you need a job before you enter the country. I cannot say for certain but the risk of arriving on a tourist visa, spending a lot of your savings, on the chance of finding a job is too big to take.
    Also, in the UAE, from my experience, they look to the Asian Economies to get graduates in general. Europeans come with experience of a few years, I understand this is similar with teachers, I haven't met a recently graduated teacher from Ireland but have met plenty with a few years under their belt.
    Personally, the UK is a better bet to get started. If you join an international company then the possibilities of travelling increase, depending on successful you are.
    Best of luck.

Cheers could be worthwhile accepting a graduate program or getting in somewhere and hopefully the option is more available in the next few years, cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭HowItsMade

arccosh wrote: »
    they're fair prices starting out in Ireland.... you'll get anywhere between 25-35K GBP in the UK, and in Germany the wages will be similar...
    what you want to look for is increments, benefits, and most of all program structure (does it count towards IEng/CEng, will you be exposed to project and team directing environments, what further training will you be given ....)
    if you're thinking that far ahead, a decent pension matching scheme (basically free money in the long run) ..
    get something with all of the above and you'll be onto a good one

Exactly, the company benefits was a huge aspect of what i considered before applying to certain places.

I reckon i'm the only 21 year old with a voluntary 5% contribution in my place at the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

decent companies in the UK will do 6 -9% matching contributions.. minimum is 3%
    Ireland, I've seen 12% matching for senior jobs...
    still may find a company with an illusive DB scheme

Advertisement