Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problem with Registered Gas Installer

Options
  • 06-12-2017 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

My combo gas boiler stopped working so I looked up a local RGI and he called out that evening. To cut a long story (bizarre utterances and bad customer relations) short over the course of the next 6 days he visited 4 times. On the 4th visit he replaced the circuit board that he thought was the problem. It wasn't, and the boiler is still not firing up. He then speculated it was another component but told me he wasn't going to try fix that in case it turned out not to be the solution .... and asked me for 160 euros to cover the cost of the board. As I was trying to ask what I was getting for 160, he stared at the floor and repeated 'I want my money' - I had to ask him to lower his voice. As I was asking him whether there was any insurance cover for this sort of thing, or comeback for either of us on the board, he interrupted and declared that he was taking me to the small claims court. Although I hadn't stated I wouldn't pay - I certainly didn't say I would - I just wanted to find out what I was getting. Anyway - am I liaible for this bill for something that I clearly did not need?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

He can't take you to small claims, for starters. That he's even suggesting it shows that he doesn't know what he can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭pmce4

Here is the common error with combi boilers. 9 times out of ten the issue is electrical and most of the RGI guys are plumbers by trade with limited knowledge of electrical issues. An electrician would have been a better choice if the boiler is not firing, if it was leaking or experiencing pressure issues a plumber is your man.
    My own combi boiler recently stopped on me and displayed a two digit error code and when I rang an RGI guy I got a big speech on what it could be with costs into the hundreds without even seeing it. but I looked up the manual and it said the primary thermistor was causing the error. 15 euro part later and installed by myself the boiler was back working.

One common approach is to replace the board (expensive) and fingers crossed it fixes the issue. you say he called 4 times what exactly did he do each time was he going through fault finding steps that brought him to the conclusion it was the board. to be honest based on your details here it sounds like he experienced this issue before and jumped straight to the pay me or else scenario. After the board was replaced the possible issue get less expensive as it could be sensor related the fact that he is refusing to try something else tells me he hasn't a clue what he is doing.
    At this point I would look for the old board as it seems it is not faulty pay him off and learn from this and get an electrician in with boiler experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jgoty2001

It seems he didn't know how to fix issue, or demand payment for not fixing it! I suppose I'll get a letter or something? I have never withheld payment before and often erred on the other side paying meekly for stuff not done properly. But my main issue here is the fact that he tells me what he thinks the problem might be now (gas valve) but won't fix it. I think you're right about chancing the default 'replace the board' trick but surely even if that's tried first without major diagnosis, the chap should be prepared to go further and fix the thing, and charge more if necessary. He opted out and I'm left without heat on what's forecast to be a very cold spell, and so I'm not in the humour for chasing this individual to pay him, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I think the reason he wont go further is because you wont pay for what been done .
    I cant blame him if that's the case, why put himself further behind on a non paying customer(not saying you are but that's his view)

as for fixing it. I don't know very much about the issue or fixing it but these things can be a stab in the dark on what is wrong

if you went to the doctor and the doc sent you for a test and prescribed you some tablets. if your condition didn't improve you would go back and the doc would try another avenue and different tablets. you would have to pay for all of these .
    I don't see any difference in the two situations

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭kathleen37

I wouldn't be happy paying for a part that isn't needed.

I would suggest telling him you want the original board back in and try and come to some arrangement for call out charge only. Remember, he hasn't fixed the problem.

Then, I would try someone else.

Good luck.

• Advertisement

Thanks for replies... but just to clarify one important detail for pen turner, the engineer told me he was not going to try and fix the problem (as per his 2nd diagnosis) before there was any mention of payment. The question of payment only arose when I enquired what was next. That is what I had the real problem with. I would of course pay for a couple of false starts & parts en route to solving the problem or even if he had tried at least a couple more options and failed ... but he just decided to pack up even though, by his own words, he thought he had a good idea what the issue was.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

jgoty2001 wrote: »
    Thanks for replies... but just to clarify one important detail for pen turner, the engineer told me he was not going to try and fix the problem (as per his 2nd diagnosis) before there was any mention of payment. The question of payment only arose when I enquired what was next. That is what I had the real problem with. I would of course pay for a couple of false starts & parts en route to solving the problem or even if he had tried at least a couple more options and failed ... but he just decided to pack up even though, by his own words, he thought he had a good idea what the issue was.

that's strange.
    not sure what you can do only get someone else

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lukehyland

What is the make and model of your boiler? And do you have any fault codes on the display or any flashing lights on the boiler face?

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭xl500

pmce4 wrote: »
    Here is the common error with combi boilers. 9 times out of ten the issue is electrical and most of the RGI guys are plumbers by trade with limited knowledge of electrical issues. An electrician would have been a better choice if the boiler is not firing, if it was leaking or experiencing pressure issues a plumber is your man.
    My own combi boiler recently stopped on me and displayed a two digit error code and when I rang an RGI guy I got a big speech on what it could be with costs into the hundreds without even seeing it. but I looked up the manual and it said the primary thermistor was causing the error. 15 euro part later and installed by myself the boiler was back working.

One common approach is to replace the board (expensive) and fingers crossed it fixes the issue. you say he called 4 times what exactly did he do each time was he going through fault finding steps that brought him to the conclusion it was the board. to be honest based on your details here it sounds like he experienced this issue before and jumped straight to the pay me or else scenario. After the board was replaced the possible issue get less expensive as it could be sensor related the fact that he is refusing to try something else tells me he hasn't a clue what he is doing.
    At this point I would look for the old board as it seems it is not faulty pay him off and learn from this and get an electrician in with boiler experience.

For anyone to work on a Gas Boiler they must be RGI

lukehyland wrote: »
    What is the make and model of your boiler? And do you have any fault codes on the display or any flashing lights on the boiler face?

Volkera linea 24

Flashing error code 01

Checked manual and tried the quick fix sequence which didn't work. Manual and manufacturers advise to get an engineer in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Why not contact the makers direct rather than relying on an "odd job men"?
    http://www.vokera.ie/trade-professionals/customer-service/

May have been more expensive initially (per se) but woulda saved time and money as he would have been trained in that specific system

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭pmce4

https://www.justanswer.com/hvac/49t1a-vokera-linea-boiler-showing-01-error-message-failure-ignite.html

Have a look at the link above I have the exact same boiler and it was 07 code which was the thermistor dying. Now I need to flush or clean my domestic heat exchanger due to water going hot to cold but the reds are perfect.

Thanks for that .. Turned out the electrode wasn't the problem ... maybe the boiler's on the way out ... BGE don't service them. Anyway, after a nights sleep I rang the guy and will compensate him something for his effort ...spread the love (and pain) - must be the season that's in it.

Advertisement