Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New petition to release the 1926 census early

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

FWIW my mother is in that census and has said she has no issues with publication. Not a hope IMO. I was very disappointed that the recent ones were compiled on the basis of the same 100 year rule. Maybe we should lobby for the 'powers' to drop that rule for the next one and to start the scanning process of 1926 so that the results will be ready - with all images - for launch in 2026.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

When most people think of census releases, they think of modern censuses which have a lot of person information.

Old censuses have very basic information, eg the 1926 census has name, age, birthplace, religion, marriage status / length, language, employment.

There is nothing in there, that 90+ years later would cause anyone embarrassment.

A lot if this information is already in the public domain eg
    BMD records, electoral registers, directories.

In fact, any of this information could be released after 75 years, and if there is any information in later census that could be considered private, it could be redacted.

cpuyiVl.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Well, I think that CIGO's point is to get the CSO working on this - in fact, the CSO needs to get in the habit of working on the older material for release in general. They've had a cushion of lost 19th century returns for a long time but from this census on, there'll have to be a release every 10 years until 1956 is out and then it's every 5 years. It took more than 5 years to get the full 1901/1911 online and those records were already microfilmed.

Anything that raises awareness will add to the pressure so please do sign the petition.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I need that 1926 Census so badly to continue my research. I have a couple of mysteries to solve. Having said that, I agree that there is nothing embarrassing on the Census Forms.....for me, however there are a lot of older people who don't want you to know something from their family's past, either illegitimate births or religion or whatever. It doesn't embarrass me but definitely some folk get very upset. I still want that Census though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

There's only one living member of my family who might be on it. I say might because I know my great-grandparents lived in Belfast for a time but am not exactly sure when in the 1920s it was. So this census will help pin it down.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

pinkypinky wrote: »
    CIGO has launched a new petition to lobby for early release of the 1926 census.

Signed and shared on social media. Funny enough, it's not much use to me. By 1926 all my family were either in Canada, England or the North. Still, I fully support the petition and hope legislation can be passed to have the census available in 2022.

Advertisement