Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No YouTube on fire TV or fire stick

Options
  • 06-12-2017 1:00am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Seems Google and Amazon's spat is kicking on.

With Amazon selling no Google/ Nest kit (more or less) now Google are pulling YouTube from Amazon Fire and Show kit.

If true it's not good news for iot integration. TBH I've been using fire TV , echo stuff far less now so this won't impact me as I've an Android TV now and casting to Chromecast from Echo devices was already an issue, I find the Google home casting to Chromecast and Android TV to be useful to the extent that my echo device is unplugged and my fire TV box was relegated to the older TV.

I didn't get the show as it won't hook up with nest cameras.

But if I hadn't upgraded TV I'd still use the fire TV 4k box so again if true this will impact some users

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes, it is all very disappointing. Amazon should really be selling various Google devices on their site (GH, Nest, Pixels, Chromecasts, etc.) and Googles services should be on all Amazons devices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

Isn't there a youtube addon in Kodi? I've seen it but haven't tried it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

737max wrote:
    Isn't there a youtube addon in Kodi? I've seen it but haven't tried it.

Yes there is, good idea, you'd sideload Kodi and stick on the YouTube app.

Another layer but I'd say it might still work. Wouldn't be as slick as the proper Amazon app.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

just installed the kodi youtube addon on my firebox and it works grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Pinkman

I've had the fire stick for ages but never really used it. Having problem loading Netflix on my Samsung Smart TV (it keeps freezing at 25%) so I decided I'd use the Fire Stick. However despite having Netflix on it previously, it is no longer one of my apps. Tried downloading it and it says I am not allowed to use 1 click purchases due to a problem with my billing address. I downloaded to Amazon Appstore app and downloaded Netflix on to that and synced the stick but it still isn't appearing. Anyone had this problem? Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Amazon and Google need to settle this, the whole idea of android is to be open across devices with casting and other features.

I am disappointed with Amazon anyway with their lack of progress making the fire TV box available internationally and having prime TV working with it for Irish customers.

If it's not settled soon I will be going all Google

• Registered Users Posts: 13,643 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Any thoughts on these two approaches to replacing the default app with a custom one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOZyOziwTqo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm2EGCu0QEY

Looks similar to the default one perhaps?

I was under the impression the quarrel had ended as Amazon were willing to sell Chromecasts etc?

Reckon they've just forgotten to disable the warning message?

YouTube on the Firestick is pretty much all I watch on TV now so would seriously mess up my routine if it went away :)

I might have to use the Samsung TV's built in version which I've never tried.

Firefox has now been added to Firesticks. Obviously this is to enable access to YouTube.com from 1st Jan...

Advertisement