Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plastering gone wrong!

Options
  • 05-12-2017 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi all,

I renovated and extended a house in early 2015, all the house was replastered (old plaster removed). My builder done It during cold weather and there’s now loads of small cracks, not sure if they are getting worse but when I asked the builder to call round for a look last month he told me to paint the house and it’ll be fine.

I’ve attached photos of the worst effected areas.

Can you have a look and any feedback is welcome.

Thank!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭delfagio

What's happening there is what is called "crazing". It's where plaster tends to crack into small and large hexoganal pieces.

It always tends to happen on the sides of the house that's exposed and prone to wind and rain. It can happen due to moisture in the plaster drying out quicker due to the wind and weather temperatures during colder weather and thus causes shrinkage in the plaster hence causing the cracks.

The cracks themselves are normally only tiny hairline cracks, but show up more just after rain or wet weather dye to the crack holding onto the moisture.

The same happened my own house on the East and West sides. We are in a very exposed site. My plasterer told me there's nothing you can do and to get it painted. I did get it painted and both paint and plaster is still on the wall. Walls were plastered in November 2014, and I painted it summer 2016. The paint will seal the cracks and hide the crazing.

However to answer your question, I still don't know if it's only astectics or if it is considered something more serious. I tried everywhere and couldn't get a definite answer at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭PaidV

delfagio wrote: »
    What's happening there is what is called "crazing". It's where plaster tends to crack into small and large hexoganal pieces.

It always tends to happen on the sides of the house that's exposed and prone to wind and rain. It can happen due to moisture in the plaster drying out quicker due to the wind and weather temperatures during colder weather and thus causes shrinkage in the plaster hence causing the cracks.

The cracks themselves are normally only tiny hairline cracks, but show up more just after rain or wet weather dye to the crack holding onto the moisture.

The same happened my own house on the East and West sides. We are in a very exposed site. My plasterer told me there's nothing you can do and to get it painted. I did get it painted and both paint and plaster is still on the wall. Walls were plastered in November 2014, and I painted it summer 2016. The paint will seal the cracks and hide the crazing.

However to answer your question, I still don't know if it's only astectics or if it is considered something more serious. I tried everywhere and couldn't get a definite answer at the time.

Thanks for the response-much appreciated. Have been worried about if for a while. So you think there won’t be any long term damage if it’s painted...good to know

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭delfagio

At the moment there has been no long term damage on our house. What I was told was to just make sure that the plaster is not boasting off the way, meaning it's not coming away from the wall.

Also I had been told by another guy to paint it as soon as I could cause if cold weather comes any moisture between the cracks could freeze causing the plaster to break up more.

So once we got a dry week in August 2016 we got it painted

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

That crazing is caused my using too much mortar add mix in the mortar. Happend myself on a gable of a cottage but 7 years later (never painted) it’s still like that but not loose or boast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

If there was waterproofer added to the scratch coat, this should not have happened. It is a result of the rub-up coat drying out too quickly. As an earlier poster said, wait until you get a few warm days and then give it two or three coats. Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Sandtex textured masonry paint will cover hairline cracks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Try tapping it with a coin or even a small hammer if the sound changes its boasted and will need taking off and re done.

Advertisement