Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prime Time - Carers in Crisis

Options
  • 05-12-2017 10:24pm

Will you be watching this tonight? I think I may need to keep a box of tissues beside me.

Nursing home cost in the region of €1400 - €1500 per week. If you are caring for someone at home you are entitled to up to 21 hours per week but it’s a hard battle getting the max hours

I’m interested in hearing your views on whether you think it would be a viable to fund a home care package in the same way the fair deal scheme is used for nursing homes. The money would be used to pay for extra help in the home giving the sole carer some time off from their 24 hour 7 day a week job.

It’s an issue close to my heart and surely there is a better way than what we have (or don’t have) right now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Will you be watching this tonight? I think I may need to keep a box of tissues beside me.

Nursing home cost in the region of €1400 - €1500 per week. If you are caring for someone at home you are entitled to up to 21 hours per week but it’s a hard battle getting the max hours

I’m interested in hearing your views on whether you think it would be a viable to fund a home care package in the same way the fair deal scheme is used for nursing homes. The money would be used to pay for extra help in the home giving the sole carer some time off from their 24 hour 7 day a week job.

It’s an issue close to my heart and surely there is a better way than what we have (or don’t have) right now.

:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

If I got to the age where I needed to go into a Nursing Home then I would choose euthanasia rather than spend my life savings on a Nursing home at €1,500 per week, I'd prefer for my Children to get that money than some ripoff Nursing home. For alot of elderly people now they have several offspring who can join together and chip in to pay the nursing home costs, when the selfish childish couples of today get old they will regret their decision not to have any or more kids.

I have heard of several cases where people employ live in (mainly Filipina) carers for the fraction of Nursing Home costs, often these are fully trained Nurses who due to bureaucracy and Visa requirements cannot work in the health service and instead work in the black economy for cash. It is happening quite alot as many are illegal immigrants and due to the outrageous cost of rent a live in Filipina carer or Nanny is win win, as the elderly person or children gets cared for whilst the illegal gets a relatively well paid job (compared to their country) and a free house to live in as a live in position.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

An issue close to my own heart as well ...regarding the 21 hours we are allowed to work. I asked if getting part time work would affect my sons medical card or his other entitlements and I was told the income would be assessed and I was told I would be better off if I could manage at all not taking up any employment (told that off the record)

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

Doltanian wrote: »
    If I got to the age where I needed to go into a Nursing Home then I would choose euthanasia rather than spend my life savings on a Nursing home at €1,500 per week, I'd prefer for my Children to get that money than some ripoff Nursing home. For alot of elderly people now they have several offspring who can join together and chip in to pay the nursing home costs, when the selfish childish couples of today get old they will regret their decision not to have any or more kids.

I have heard of several cases where people employ live in (mainly Filipina) carers for the fraction of Nursing Home costs, often these are fully trained Nurses who due to bureaucracy and Visa requirements cannot work in the health service and instead work in the black economy for cash. It is happening quite alot as many are illegal immigrants and due to the outrageous cost of rent a live in Filipina carer or Nanny is win win, as the elderly person or children gets cared for whilst the illegal gets a relatively well paid job (compared to their country) and a free house to live in as a live in position.

Some couples can't have children for health reasons, I see your point but it could have been worded better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

the selfish childish couples of today get old they will regret their decision not to have any or more kids.

They are afraid that if they have kids they might turn out to be very judgemental.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

God bless the Fair Deal scheme. My dad pays c. 800 euro a month (80% of pension).

He's in an amazing nursing home.

I do suffer massively with the guilt of nl5 being able to care for him. I have so much admiration for those who do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭batistuta9

For alot of elderly people now they have several offspring who can join together and chip in to pay the nursing home costs, when the selfish childish couples of today get old they will regret their decision not to have any or more kids.

Have children so they can look after you when you're old, now that is selfish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭dirtyden

That was a tough watch, very sad, not sure what the answer but it has to become a more integral part of primary care. It should not be so hard for people to find help.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

If you don't have kids watching that would put you off. God forbid you have a child with severe special needs, you are on your own pretty much.

That was heart wrenching so far.

But as shown it’s not just elderly parents it children who have to be cared for in their entire lifetime too.

I’m not usually one to bash politicians but that fella, when asked a direct question, just rambled on about numbers (badly) totally forgetting the question. It was like he was just mouthing words waiting for the ad break.

I dunno what the solution is yet but it needs serious discussion and ACTION.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Have children so they can look after you when you're old, now that is selfish

Its the mentality of hundreds of millions around the world, especially those well off in poorer countries.

God bless the Fair Deal scheme. My dad pays c. 800 euro a month (80% of pension).

I do suffer massively with the guilt of nl5 being able to care for him. I have so much admiration for those who do.

Never feel guilty. Easier said than done I know.

Since I gave up work to care for my dad I’ve thought about what I want to happen when I’m older. If I don’t die really quickly then I want to be on that plane to Switzerland. If that’s not possible put me in a home. I don’t want my kids feeling guilty and caring for me. It’s so draining and affects all your relationships.

If the fair deal scheme could be extended to provide care in ones own home then great, I’d take that option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Never feel guilty. Easier said than done I know.

Since I gave up work to care for my dad I’ve thought about what I want to happen when I’m older. If I don’t die really quickly then I want to be on that plane to Switzerland. If that’s not possible put me in a home. I don’t want my kids feeling guilty and caring for me. It’s so draining and affects all your relationships.

If the fair deal scheme could be extended to provide care in ones own home then great, I’d take that option.

God I wish it was. I'm Catholic but still I'm "taxi to Dignitas" if anything happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

dirtyden wrote: »
    That was a tough watch, very sad, not sure what the answer but it has to become a more integral part of primary care. It should not be so hard for people to find help.

It was very,very tough to watch indeed.
    It is even more maddening when we think that the funds required were wasted by Bertie and his Fianna Fail cronies aided and abetted by the now defunct PD's and a handful of corrupt independents, to bail out Bankers,Builders and Speculators during the boom years.
    What we saw tonight is their legacy..:mad:
    Not a single one of them will ever be in the same position of some of the poor unfortunate people we saw tonight.

Advertisement