Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Business! please HELP!

Options
  • 05-12-2017 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey everyone, I've wanted to set up a business for ages that also represents my love of running. I love the idea of a monthly subscription box for runners with running gear, snacks etc. There are loads of companies doing this but none in Ireland. Just wondering would you guys buy from an Irish based company like me instead of other running subscription boxes. Is it a good idea. Any help greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

TD01 wrote: »
    Hey everyone, I've wanted to set up a business for ages that also represents my love of running. I love the idea of a monthly subscription box for runners with running gear, snacks etc. There are loads of companies doing this but none in Ireland. Just wondering would you guys buy from an Irish based company like me instead of other running subscription boxes. Is it a good idea. Any help greatly appreciated!

What's a subscription box, I'm from the country, I know what a snack box is but never heard of t'other thing.

Can you link an example

TbL

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

TD01 wrote: »

Have never heard of anyone doing running subscription boxes. Things like that aren't for me, kinda gimicky, but I know people love them...the money is to be made in people holding subscription but never using anything in it.
    Used to get one for my nephew that had all arts and crafts stuff...but novelty soon wore off for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

What actually is a subscription box? Is it like one of those loot boxes you hear off? So I'd be paying for it every month but won't actually know what I'm getting?

Because that just isn't any use to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

My wife gets the birhcbox every month, she thinks its brillant .

Basically what he is talking about, is you subscribe to a service for 12 months and every month you get a small box with a gift in it, kinda sample thing etc.

Not sure how it would work for running, but maybe the poster can explain what he plans?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 TD01

Ya, thats it pretty much

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

My wife gets the birhcbox every month, she thinks its brillant .

My friend gets the glossybox, same think as birchbox really. Pretty much uses nothing that comes in it. But still pays every month on the offchance she might get something good. Would be better off just spending the 15/20 euro or whatever it is on something decent.

Don't see how a subscription box would work with running, unless you had set up some pretty good deals with companies...most stuff would still be sample size though I'd imagine. The odd energy gel, small sample packages of zero tablets etc, maybe socks...you'd be seriously lucky to get anything like shorts etc (not sure how that would work sizing wise anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

When I lived abroad I used to subscribe to a Beer Of The Month club that shipped a crate of mystery brew every month. Used to look forward to that, big time!

Running box? Meh. Have all the running stuff I'll ever need.

Murph_D wrote: »
    When I lived abroad I used to subscribe to a Beer Of The Month club that shipped a crate of mystery brew every month. Used to look forward to that, big time!

Running box? Meh. Have all the running stuff I'll ever need.

Running box? Meh. Have all the running stuff I'll ever need.[/quote]

Maybe the subscription box could send you a sample of speed :):)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

TbL

that's a whole other business :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

There's a company is Galway selling the New3Fit box as well as training plans and gear etc.

It's this kind of thing you're looking at? I've never subscribed so can't comment on it.

The New3Fir box is general fitness though as opposed to running. You could be significantly limiting your target market by just focusing on runners.

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    that's a whole other business :)

😂

• Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

TbL

Cheeky fecker!

Murph_D wrote: »
    Cheeky fecker!

Sorry Murph, couldn't resist :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

My friend gets the glossybox, same think as birchbox really. Pretty much uses nothing that comes in it. But still pays every month on the offchance she might get something good. Would be better off just spending the 15/20 euro or whatever it is on something decent.

Don't see how a subscription box would work with running, unless you had set up some pretty good deals with companies...most stuff would still be sample size though I'd imagine. The odd energy gel, small sample packages of zero tablets etc, maybe socks...you'd be seriously lucky to get anything like shorts etc (not sure how that would work sizing wise anyway)

Wife travels with work alot so the sample sizes are great for her. In saying that she has a press full of crap!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

business 1:a person's regular occupation, profession, or trade.
    2:commercial activity.

idea: a thought or suggestion as to a possible course of action.

If you want an idea how about something like using strava or garmin connect to suggest workouts to people based on people who were similar ability but improved a lot in the future. Make it a subscription service. Who wouldn't pay for that.

Advertisement