Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dilemma

Options
  • 05-12-2017 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

I'm currently in university and I'm not enjoying my course, this has manifested itself in me being unmotivated to study the course material. I want to re-apply to cao for medicine next year. I would need about 170 points in the Hpat. Would it be realistic to start preparing at this stage? What can I do to prepare? Apart from medicine I don't know what I should apply to, and I really don't want a repeat of this to happen, I've wanted to do my course for a long time and now I don't like it. Is there any other routes to get into undergraduate medicine? I don't know if I should continue with my course and then do a postgraduate in something unrelated. Would be grateful for any tips and recommendations.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Perhaps take a year out and volunteer somewhere, clarify what it is you want to do, rather than heading straight into another course you may not like?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 martina__f

I think spurious's advice about volunteering is super: for a lot of people medicine turns out to be vastly different in practice compared to their ideas of what it is. Therefore, volunteering is hugely helpful as you see the reality of it (or as close as you can get to it.)

As for it being too late with HPAT, some people don't even prepare for it and secure a place in medicine, so I wouldn't make that your deciding factor.

Medicine aside, I think you need to figure out what it is that killed your motivation for the courses you had chosen previously.

Advertisement