Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should I move schools if I can't do Physics, Chemistry and Biology?

• 05-12-2017 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Picking subjects soon. Those are the only 3 subjects I want to do in the school. Not Economics. I'll be teaching that myself along with AP Maths since we don't do AP Maths in the school (And yes I know 9 subjects is a lot but I've already started studying for the LC. I have 4 AP Maths Questions learned and I have almost all of Economics done).

Should I move schools if I don't get to do those 3? If I get to do Physics and Chem then I'll be fine I guess. I'll do Econ instead of bio and self-study bio. I'm not doing History or some other subject like that. No interest.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The timetabling in the school may not allow you to do all three, as most schools will timetable to suit the needs of the majority of students, which would be one or two Science subjects. Some schools use the Phys/Chem subject to fill timetable gaps like this. You might find it difficult to find a school that can offer all three.

Depending on how big or small your school is, there may not be the interest to form all three Sciences. You could always study one of them outside school, but you seem to be doing a large number of subjects already. I cannot see how doing 2 extra subjects would not have an impact on your 'main' ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

naxmax9 wrote: »
    Picking subjects soon. Those are the only 3 subjects I want to do in the school. Not Economics. I'll be teaching that myself along with AP Maths since we don't do AP Maths in the school (And yes I know 9 subjects is a lot but I've already started studying for the LC. I have 4 AP Maths Questions learned and I have almost all of Economics done).

Should I move schools if I don't get to do those 3? If I get to do Physics and Chem then I'll be fine I guess. I'll do Econ instead of bio and self-study bio. I'm not doing History or some other subject like that. No interest.

While I'm obviously in favour of you doing subjects you actually like, I think you might be over-reacting slightly here. Don't do 9 subjects. Trust me, I've been there, it doesn't work in your favour. Pick the subjects you like best that your school can feasibly offer you. I did Physics, Biology and Chemistry but I can assure you that most schools don't have the numbers to make that possible. My advice would be to do Physics and Chemistry and hopefully Biology. If not, pick Economics or something else. Don't bother doing Biology on your own, it's pointless. Likewise, if you get to do Biology in school don't do Economics. There's no benefit. But sure do Applied Maths. An extra subject can be beneficial but too many and it's not a good idea.

Also if it turns out you have to pick a subject you're not overly fond of (e.g. History) don't go into it with a negative attitude. It'll affect your grade. Try to be as positive as you can about it and you'll be surprised how well you might do in it. Having to study something we're not overtly fond of something everyone has to do at some point in their education. It happens to people in secondary school and even in college too. Just cause you pick a course you like it doesn't mean that you'll love every module you'll take and you probably won't have much choice there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Celtron

All depends on what you want to do, for example I put down on my options sheet in order: Chemistry, Physics ,French,Economics and Accounting (do applied maths outside of school). I ended up getting Physics,French,Business and DCG. In my case, I couldn't move schools because I wouldn't be able to travel to the other schools and couldn't afford to go to any private schools(live in a small town in mayo). I've been lucky considering I find business easy (literally just learn the notes off) and doing great in all others except dcg, having said all this, this has ruled out my main goal which was to do Pharmacology but I found out my love and aptitude for Maths, Applied Maths and Physics. Everything does happen for a reason, but if you truly feel like you should move school to achieve your goals then do, as Steve Jobs said "Have the courage to follow your heart and intuition, they somehow already know what you want to become"

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭stargazing123

naxmax9 wrote: »

I think you would be putting yourself under immense pressure if you do all three science subjects. Many people take two at most as it is all they can handle alongside all of the other major subjects. Either way, don't bother moving schools not at this stage anyway. New teachers,new classes, new people alongside 9 subjects?? Too much pressure. If you really enjoy those particular subjects then do all three but I strongly suggest that you pick your best two . Good Luck x

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Deep_learning

I think you should definitely consider moving schools. It's usually a bad sign if a school doesn't offer the option of doing physics, chemistry and biology. A school with good academic standards will give its students the opportunity to do all three.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

I think you should definitely consider moving schools. It's usually a bad sign if a school doesn't offer the option of doing physics, chemistry and biology. A school with good academic standards will give its students the opportunity to do all three.

This isn’t true at all. Some schools simply don’t have the numbers to put on all three. Doesn’t in any way reflect the academic standard of the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Deep_learning

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    This isn’t true at all. Some schools simply don’t have the numbers to put on all three. Doesn’t in any way reflect the academic standard of the school.

One of the surest signs of a school with poor academic standards is low numbers of students opting (or being encouraged to opt) for science subjects. Many very small schools manage to give students the option to study all three.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

One of the surest signs of a school with poor academic standards is low numbers of students opting (or being encouraged to opt) for science subjects. Many very small schools manage to give students the option to study all three.

Can you give an example of a 'small' school offering three Science subjects please?

Advertisement