Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bagots of Ballyturin, Galway

Options
  • 05-12-2017 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi all,

Does anybody know if any records exist for the Ballyturin estate in Kiltartan, Galway? I've been researching some townlands that were "subdeaneries" of Ballyturin and I'm looking for any documents that might provide some context. For instance, in one townland owned by the Bagots of Ballyturin, the population dropped from 116 in 1841 to 20 in 1851. I assume everyone got evicted but I'd like to learn more about the circumstances surrounding it. I haven't found anything in the newspaper archives.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Try the Galway archives and the National Library.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 17 blander

Galwaylibrary.ie is a great resource but I haven't found too much about the Ballyturin estate except that it used to belong to the Kirwans and before that the MacRedmond Burkes.
    Www.aughty.org and Peterswellschool.com are good resources for that area too but they've only taken me so far.

I'm in America so consulting any local resources is difficult.

I've reached out to the preeminent local geneologist, Sr de Lordes Fahy, but she responded with what appears to be a form letter saying she's out of the genealogy game now that she's over 80.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

landedestates.nuigalway.ie has a little about the family and estate.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Have you searched the Registry of Deeds?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

S/he is in the States.
    You may well have to employ a researcher to check these places for you, but you can at least search the NLI's catalogue online first.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Scans of the Registry of Deeds are available on Family Search.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 17 blander

Thanks! I've gone through all the deeds and there are a few entries for Ballyturin. They mostly seem to involve loans and marriages

blander wrote: »
    Thanks! I've gone through all the deeds and there are a few entries for Ballyturin. They mostly seem to involve loans and marriages

That's generally what they relate to but there may be information in the individual deeds - names, dates, places - that either helps your project directly or can be a stepping stone to further research.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

blander wrote: »
    Hi all,

....population dropped from 116 in 1841 to 20 in 1851. I assume everyone got evicted but I'd like to learn more about the circumstances surrounding it. I haven't found anything in the newspaper archives.
    ce.
    I'd be slow to make any assumption like that. Lots of people just 'upped sticks' and moved elsewhere if they got a chance. Evictions drew much comment in the media and if you cannot find a reference to a 'clearance' it might not have happened.
    Check the Irish Folklore Commission's schools' collection - there could be references to the area there but do remember it is folklore, not fact.
    FWIW Pinky the moderator here is a professional genealogist - have a look at her profile for contact details.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

You probably have this information but you mentioned two families of Ballyturin - the kirwins and the Bagots.
    John Lloyd Neville Bagot, son of Thomas Neville Bagot and Ellen Fallon married (in either 1843 or 1846) Anna Georgina Kirwin, daughter of Edward Henry Kirwin of Ballyturin Castle, Co Galway.

J L N Bagot: In 1855 he was recorded as living at Mount Vernon Lodge, Burren, New Quay, Co Clare.
    He was a JP for Cos Galway, Clare and Roscommon.
    TCD Admissions: Bagot, John, Pen. (Mr Ince), July 1, 1834, aged 19; s of Thomas, Generosus; b Roscommon.
    Several of his children are recorded as being born at Ballyturin

• Advertisement
Advertisement