Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Police Foil Terror Plot on Muslims

Options
  • 05-12-2017 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭

Florida sheriff: Man planned mass shooting at Islamic center
    JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — Authorities say a Florida resident was planning to "shoot up" a Jacksonville mosque before his arrest on Friday.

Bernandino Bolatete, 69, has been charged with possessing a silencer not registered to him, a federal crime, said Jacksonville Sheriff Mike Williams at a press conference Monday. Bolatete is a Philippines national who has a green card, according to federal authorities.

Williams said a confidential source informed Jacksonville detectives in November that Bolatete "had expressed a strong anti-Islam sentiment and was planning to conduct a mass shooting of individuals at the Islamic Center of Northeast Florida."

An undercover detective established a relationship with Bolatete, according to federal charging documents. The detective allegedly recorded several conversations with Bolatete, who authorities say said that he planned to be killed by police after shooting at mosque attendees from a nearby tower.

Fair play to the police for getting on top of it and preventing what could have been yet another violent terrorist attack and shooting incident in the US.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Wow they got lucky the source reported him

Just think, if he didn't try to purchase a silencer they might have been able to go through with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

How many people will check out this thread and leave hugely disappointed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I’ve misplaced my crystal ball. Any chance we could be told what the OP is referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

The heading insinuates that Muslims were going to perpetrate the attack.

• Advertisement

I’ve misplaced my crystal ball. Any chance we could be told what the OP is referring to?

Have you misplaced your glasses too? Since there's the link and summary in the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Wow they got lucky the source reported him
    I'd imagine they would like to stay anonymous but yeah, they probably wound up saving a lot of peoples lives. Credit to them there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    The heading insinuates that Muslims were going to perpetrate the attack.
    Haha. Yeah it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

ANTI Muslim Terror Attack, surely?????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Thank Allah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

Billy86 wrote: »
    Florida sheriff: Man planned mass shooting at Islamic center

Fair play to the police for getting on top of it and preventing what could have been yet another violent terrorist attack and shooting incident in the US.

How is it a "Muslim Terror Plot" if a guy planned to kill a bunch of Muslims?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,562 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

RustyNut wrote: »

Such people rarely bother with details this minor.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Click bait

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

ANTI Muslim Terror Attack, surely?????
    Think the OP wrote a misleading title on purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Have you misplaced your glasses too? Since there's the link and summary in the OP.

Have my glasses. I’m on my phone. There is one line in the OP, and no link.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Considering the terror and carnage the small minority of Muslims are commiting against the Christian Majority population of the Southern Philippines Island of Mindanao I'm not surprised to read this, he obviously took some personal grudge with him to the US.

SeanW wrote: »
    Think the OP wrote a misleading title on purpose.
    Actually I posted it while doing something else and missed that, but maybe it would be best to leave it as is if for no other reason as RustyNut pointed out, than letting down the usual suspects.
    Have my glasses. I’m on my phone. There is one line in the OP, and no link.
    There are four paragraphs and a link, try refreshing maybe?

In case the link isn't showing on phone because it's embedded in the text - https://www.cbsnews.com/news/florida-sheriff-man-planned-mass-shooting-at-islamic-center/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I said before that Muslims are going to have to be prepared for this after the attacks on the west etc. It's always the ordinary people that are going about their daily business that are attacked by these idiots.
    Glad the police/security got to him before he could commit carnage.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,241 ✭✭✭✭endacl

RustyNut wrote: »
    Ah, they'll just make it about getting the dole in prison. Be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Good they nabbed him. Killing people is not going to make things better (for muslims or non-muslims).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

9 terror plots were foiled in the UK according to MI5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Yes, there is a definitive pattern emerging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Ok to have a gun, but not ok to have a silencer?
    That makes sense?.

diomed wrote: »
    Ok to have a gun, but not ok to have a silencer?
    That makes sense?.

Might be a licencing issue? Despite what the movies show, a shot with a silencer is supposed to be audible from 2-3 rooms over, or possibly even through a solid wall (e.g. your neighbour's living room, if you live in a semi detached).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

Might be a licencing issue? Despite what the movies show, a shot with a silencer is supposed to be audible from 2-3 rooms over, or possibly even through a solid wall (e.g. your neighbour's living room, if you live in a semi detached).

If it's properly silenced the only sound is of the moving parts going forward..unless you use supersonic ammo which will produce a sonic "crack" as the bullet leaves the muzzle.

Yes, there is a definitive pattern emerging.
    And that's only two of the foiled terror attacks on Muslims in recent times, before even getting into other Islamic centres being bombed in Minnesota, mosques being shot up in Quebec, or people being attacked and even murdered in Oregon, Washington, Kansas, etc on account of being Muslim or just being confused for them.

Good to see the police on top of things here of course, but it's just getting worse lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

And that's only two of the foiled terror attacks on Muslims in recent times, before even getting into other Islamic centres being bombed in Minnesota, mosques being shot up in Quebec, or people being attacked and even murdered in Oregon, Washington, Kansas, etc on account of being Muslim or just being confused for them.

Good to see the police on top of things here of course, but it's just getting worse lately.
    I think the poster was referring to a pattern of ambiguous and misleading thread titles ...

And yet if it was or was not on their part, they hit upon a much more relevant to the thread talk of increased terrorist attacks against Muslims. It's a dangerous growing trend and much like Islamist terrorism it does nothing but embolden the extremists on both sides, hence the importance of the fantastic work done here by the police and the informant. Wouldn't you agree?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

These people are idiots and terrorists and only falling for the Islamist trap, this is what they want. You speak out against the Islamist ideology, not go and shoot normal everyday Muslims. Well done to the police.

Advertisement