Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fetac Level 5 carer

Options
  • 05-12-2017 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭

Hi folks. I'm looking to change my work and I would like to explore becoming a carer. I know that Fetac Level 5 is required with chosen modules giving you the direction of care i.e. care for the elderly, care for disability etc.

So how does the Fetac qualification work exactly? Do I need to complete and pass a certain amount of modules to add up credits to a total score?

Also, is is possible to do all that is required on a full time basis and if so how long does it take compared to just going at it full time? There seems to be so many places offering and the costs also vary quite a bit so I'm a bit lost on what options to look at.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Go to your local ETB. They will offer the best price and you are more likely to get the full award. Be careful, some private providers only offer partial awards.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭shivermetimber

spurious wrote: »
    Go to your local ETB. They will offer the best price and you are more likely to get the full award. Be careful, some private providers only offer partial awards.

Thanks. Would this be the correct list of ETB's? https://www.etbi.ie/etbs/find-a-training-centre/

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

Hi folks. I'm looking to change my work and I would like to explore becoming a carer. I know that Fetac Level 5 is required with chosen modules giving you the direction of care i.e. care for the elderly, care for disability etc.

So how does the Fetac qualification work exactly? Do I need to complete and pass a certain amount of modules to add up credits to a total score?

Also, is is possible to do all that is required on a full time basis and if so how long does it take compared to just going at it full time? There seems to be so many places offering and the costs also vary quite a bit so I'm a bit lost on what options to look at.

You can study it for free, contact lhp skillnet.
    Finished all 8 modules and graduated last week.
    Working in nearby nursing home now. Would really recommend them.

peaceboi wrote: »
    You can study it for free, contact lhp skillnet.
    Finished all 8 modules and graduated last week.
    Working in nearby nursing home now. Would really recommend them.

Thanks. Did you study it for free while working or did you do it through unemployed means / Jobseekers?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

Thanks. Did you study it for free while working or did you do it through unemployed means / Jobseekers?

Had class only on Thursday s. It depends on your family status I guess, or you could also request them saying you looking for change in career and have great passion in giving care. My case only the other half was working then.

• Advertisement

peaceboi wrote: »
    Had class only on Thursday s. It depends on your family status I guess, or you could also request them saying you looking for change in career and have great passion in giving care. My case only the other half was working then.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll look into it as if not for me it may suit my partner instead ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Thanks. Would this be the correct list of ETB's? https://www.etbi.ie/etbs/find-a-training-centre/

There are many more centres than that. Many of the Level 5s are run in FE colleges, some attached to second level schools. If you find your local ETB Adult Education officer (they might call them Directors of Education now) they will know all the courses available in your area.

spurious wrote: »
    There are many more centres than that. Many of the Level 5s are run in FE colleges, some attached to second level schools. If you find your local ETB Adult Education officer (they might call them Directors of Education now) they will know all the courses available in your area.

Will do, thanks!

Advertisement