Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue lights 3for2 on Amazon

Options
  • 05-12-2017 3:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭

Link

E.g. Philips Hue White Personal Wireless Lighting LED B22 Twin Pack. With 3for2 = £6.83 per bulb.

They are temporarily oos but can still be ordered.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭fdevine

E27 type are in stock for the same price

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

bromley52 wrote: »
    Link

E.g. Philips Hue White Personal Wireless Lighting LED B22 Twin Pack. With 3for2 = £6.83 per bulb.

They are temporarily oos but can still be ordered.

Showing at 25 Sterling for me. Which is 6 bulbs for 50 Sterling so £8.33 per bulb?

Still a great deal, I am just asking to see if you have a better price there!

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Danny2580

Stupid question alert: how difficult is it to get these working with Alexa? Would I need to rig up a socket, or can I simply insert the bulb as normal and sync with it via an app?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭ongarite

Danny2580 wrote: »
    Stupid question alert: how difficult is it to get these working with Alexa? Would I need to rig up a socket, or can I simply insert the bulb as normal and sync with it via an app?

The bulbs are useless without a Hue Bridge
    The Bridge is the brain box that controls all the bulbs & sets schedules, etc..
    Can be bought as part of starter kit for £50 with 2 bulbs.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Personal-Wireless-Lighting-Starter/dp/B0152WXI18/

Danny2580 wrote: »

I set mine up with Alexa last week. It was very easy. But you need the Bridge (it comes in most of the starter kits). It plugs into your router and controls the bulbs. Loads of people end up buying extra bridges because the starter packs are good value, so you can pick one up cheap on Ebay or Adverts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭agentgreen

You don't need the bridge is you have smarter things or echo plus... right?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,292 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

errlloyd wrote: »
    I set mine up with Alexa last week. It was very easy. But you need the Bridge (it comes in most of the starter kits). It plugs into your router and controls the bulbs. Loads of people end up buying extra bridges because the starter packs are good value, so you can pick one up cheap on Ebay or Adverts.
    Does the bridge need another plug in the wall?
    My sockets are a bit overloaded at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

gmisk wrote: »
    Does the bridge need another plug in the wall?

I find most electrical items do.

Sorry, I'll get my coat.......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Showing at 25 Sterling for me. Which is 6 bulbs for 50 Sterling so £8.33 per bulb?

I added 3 of the bulbs linked in the OP and it's showing as £40 (£20 per set) for me. You need to go through to checkout for 3 for 2 discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Kevvv

No need for the bridge if you have an Echo Plus. My hue bulbs work perfect without the Philips Bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭bromley52

They are still there at £19.99. Make sure you choose Amazon and not a 3rd party seller.

Kevvv wrote: »
    No need for the bridge if you have an Echo Plus. My hue bulbs work perfect without the Philips Bridge.

If you just want to turn them on/off and dim the lights the Echo Plus will fine.
    You need the Bridge to control lights from outside home, geofencing, set sunset and sunrise options, schedule lights to come on at certain times or use motion sensors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭fdevine

You can also use the Hue Dimmer for simple operation of white bulbs in place of the Hue Bridge for on, of & dimming

£20 on amazon

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

agentgreen wrote: »
    You don't need the bridge is you have smarter things or echo plus... right?

Yes, but I don't recommend it, you end up with a much poorer experience then if you have the Hue bridge. You miss out on all the richness and power of the Hue ecosystem, which is really what sets it apart.

For instance the Plus can't control colours or scenes. It also won't work with Hue accessories like the Hue dimmer or motion sensor. And it only works with bulbs, non of the various Hue lamps work with it.

It might be ok if you are just using one or two bulbs, but you are really limiting yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭lau1247

anyone have the GU10 White Ambiance?? Do you find it not bright enough??

I know the colour ones are brighter but cannot justify the price and usage for it (i.e. overpaying for the feature)

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

lau1247 wrote: »

I know the colour ones are brighter but cannot justify the price and usage for it (i.e. overpaying for the feature)

I have them and find them fine, but of course that depends on how many you have and the size of the room. Mine are as bright as the MR16's they replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Somebody explain to me why I need these things in my life.

Soarer wrote: »

Haha, you really don't want that. People end up loving them, getting addicted to them and spending a lot filling their entire home with them!

The HA forum is full of Hue Addicts, I think one or two people might need an intervention :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,708 ✭✭✭ablelocks

I'm not sure myself yet so I bought the standard bulbs (the ambiance are too expensive) as a starter. I already have the bridge, 2 lamps and a lightstrip from previous BA's.

Now i'll actually read the instructions, do some reading in the HA forum (now that i know there is one) and get them all set up properly.

one thing i know i'll be doing for the first few days is randomly turning the kids room lights on and off ...

For about three days I found the wake up thing really handy. Now I can just sleep through light!

But I do like them a lot, I control them with Alexa and from the door of my apartment I can pretty much light up whole place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Kevvv

ongarite wrote: »
    If you just want to turn them on/off and dim the lights the Echo Plus will fine.
    You need the Bridge to control lights from outside home, geofencing, set sunset and sunrise options, schedule lights to come on at certain times or use motion sensors.

Not entirely true. I can remotely control the lights using the Amazon Alexa app. Sunrise/ sunset also works fine although this isn’t really something I find useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭lau1247

bk wrote: »
    I have them and find them fine, but of course that depends on how many you have and the size of the room. Mine are as bright as the MR16's they replaced.

It will be in the kitchen (Planning to have 6 off White Ambiance GU10 here for 20 sq meter) and living room (Planning to have 4 colours GU10 here for 16 sq meter). Probably another 4 off White Ambiance GU10 for each bedroom.

How many do you have in a room (I'm guessing typically kitchen or living room) and roughly what size room? (Just so I can roughly gauge the quantity)

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

I've got 4 colour GU10's in the Living Room, no idea what size, but a pretty decent sized living room.

Also 4 White ambiance GU10's in the bathroom, not very large.

lau1247 wrote: »

Yeah same issue for me. I don't find them bright enough as they are only 250lm.
    The colour ones are alot brighter & expensive.

I'm going to get some IKEA Tradfri GU10 as they are 400lm & see if its any different.

ongarite wrote: »
    Yeah same issue for me. I don't find them bright enough as they are only 250lm.
    The colour ones are alot brighter & expensive.

I'm going to get some IKEA Tradfri GU10 as they are 400lm & see if its any different.

Let us know how that goes. I was thinking of getting some of those myself for other rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭irishchris

Let us know how that goes. I was thinking of getting some of those myself for other rooms.

I second that.hoping to pick up 10 of the tradferi gu10 myself. Struggling to justify the 6 hour round trip for just that though. Anyone know anywhere online where these can be bought?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,708 ✭✭✭ablelocks

irishchris wrote: »
    I second that.hoping to pick up 10 of the tradferi gu10 myself. Struggling to justify the 6 hour round trip for just that though. Anyone know anywhere online where these can be bought?

edit : never mind - says available online on the ikea product page, but when you go to order says not available for home delivery

OK so I got 4 of the GU10, the white adjustable ones.
    They paired with the Hue Bridge out of the box, using Lamp Finder app.

They are a lot brighter than the Philips GU10 but if I was to be critical, they don't have the same white colour control of the more expensive Philips.
    2700K and 2200K looks very similar but cool blue 4000K is nowhere near as good (Philips goes to 6500K)
    The cheaper dimmable fixed 2700K 7 euro bulb would be great for general use around the home.

Look at the box and check the batch date, has to be 1721 or later to have the Hue compatible FW out of the box.

35icdu9.jpg

Great info, thanks so much ongarite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭andydurnin

6 Philips b22 white + bridge + dimmer for £120.95 on Amazon UK. Is that a good deal?

Advertisement