Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

really struggling with nerves

Options
  • 04-12-2017 11:11pm

Hi guys,

I'm flying tomorrow at 2 pm to gran Canaria and I have been a nervous wreck for the past 2 days.

I've travelled on countless flights before but lately everytime I have a flight i am unable to sleep, eat or do anything except cry before and during the flight.

I have tried getting tipsy and also using xanax but neither helps. I also know the stats of it being the safest way to travel etc but I can't get my mind at ease.

Has anyone got any tips or do I just need to suck it up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

You could try downloading Allen Carr's book "No More Fear of Flying" from Amazon and read it on a Kindle, or Kindle app for a smartphone..

My mother was a very nervous flyer and it helped her a lot. It's very short, you would read it in an hour or two.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/No-More-Fear-Flying-Revolutionary-ebook/dp/B00K1F4FFA/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1512426912&sr=1-3-fkmr0&keywords=allen+carr+stop+flying+book

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

Anything in particular that gets you?

Try some videos on youtube eg

Be careful what related links you click on, no point watching anything scary tonight!

faoiarvok wrote:
    Anything in particular that gets you?

It's the fear of crashing/never seeing my daughter again etc.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

One family member was brutal scared of flying not too long ago, a trip to Dublin Airport's spotting area (to see the sheer amount of landings and departures) and a downloading of FR24 helped calm the preflight nerves!

That's only one person's experience though, but it's an idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

It's the fear of crashing/never seeing my daughter again etc.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help

Just think you're a lot more likely to crash on way to the airport than while on plane. Don't know if that helps or not but airlines are so careful about safety that it really is so safe. bring a book or a movie to pass the time, or download some relaxing music that might out you to sleep. Spotify have some hypnosis relaxing tracks that i find put me to sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

While not quite as bad..I too fear flying and I know it’s irrational. Taking off and landing are my worst part, once in the air I don’t be to bad.
    What I found works for me is to download clamming sounds onto my phone or some classical music...once the safety briefing is over it’s in with a good pair of noise cancelling headphones and an eye mask and I try some very slow breathing exercises I seen on YouTube.
    It works for me and I have done a few long haul flights..I am very claustrophobic so I definitely need something to relax and take the panic away once it starts to rise..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

I might be a bit late to the party, seeing you are departing today, however for future - check out Fly Fearless course Simtech is running. I don't have the experience with these things myself, but these courses are said to be very effective - depending on what package you choose you could potentially be brought to a simulator professional pilots use to train and have a go at flying one yourself.

Other than that, focus on how much fun you will have at your destination.. Being tipsy or on pills can and often will bring more harm than good, especially if you have any existing medical issues to do with cardio-vascular or respiratory system

Thanks for all your help guys. About to head to the airport now. Wish me luck!

Again, thanks to all who took time to try to help. It means a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

While you are at the airport, if you have time, use the airport wi-fi and view a tutorial on EFT Tapping. I wish I were going to the airport with you, because I've used that modality on fellow passengers to help them, and it works. Search YouTube for "fear of flying tapping" videos and choose any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,086 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

How did you get on?

• Advertisement
Advertisement