Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Undergrad Degree - 1 Year Online

Options
  • 04-12-2017 10:02pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm thinking of doing an undergrad starting next September, no idea what in or topic just something to get the piece of paper to be honest, looking at the http://www.webelevate.ie/ program that looks spot on but it's out of my price range, I'm thinking of spending ~€4,000 on the course. Would anyone have any courses they could recommend? Ideally it would be distance learning/online with a NUI recgonised qualification at the end of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

You won't get a degree online in one year.

What qualifications do you already have? What level are you looking for (i.e Level 7 Ordinary or Level 8 honours)?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'm looking for a level 7 at least, level 8 would do, the WebElevate course is 1 year and gives a level 7 or level 8 depending on how much you are willing to spend.

I currently have a level 9 and will be completely another Masters in May this year, I don't have an undergrad so I just want to tick a box to be honest.

A Level 7 typically takes 3 years full time. The course above is a Level 7 add-on, that is, to add on to a Level 6.

If you look at the entry requirements for that course, it requires a Level 6, or significant work experience in a relevant area to qualify for RPL.

Have a look at IT Sligo, they have a lot of online courses.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I think this is the version of the course for people who are employed - https://digitalskillsacademy.com/

I know what you mean about needing an existing qualification but " Candidates with significant career experience, without a higher education Level 6 or 7 major award qualification, may also be considered for entry under ‘Recognition of Prior Learning’ (RPL)." I'm sure there are other courses out there similar, I just can't find them :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

....... wrote: »

To tick a box really, some jobs insist on having an undergrad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

....... wrote: »

I never thought of the Open University actually, great shout thanks for that, I must look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

clareman

would you consider doing a HDip on springboardcourses dot ie

lots of level 8 and 9 msc and hdip on there, many of them are free and can be done online in one year

Here's a quick search showing courses delivered fully online, providing level 8 on nfq scale, open to people in employment for free and currently accepting applications

https://springboardcourses.ie/results?page=1&keywords=&conversion=1&accept_current_applications_only=1&open_to_employment=1&methods%5B0%5D=1

Thanks for that Brendan, lot of American companies look for the undergrad degree as well as the post grad so it kind of needs to be a 7 :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

but that will give you the level 8 which would be better than the 7?

but that will give you the level 8 which would be better than the 7?

I know, it doesn't make sense, I already have a level 9

It does make sense.

The standard has to be set at some level. That level is increasingly Level 8, but at honours degree level, not higher diploma level.

A 1-2 years Level 9 does not infer the same range of knowledge acquisition and skills as 4 years at level 8.

Advertisement