Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School Discipline

Options
  • 04-12-2017 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

Just after reading a story in the Times of a secondary school in Drogheda that has three times the national average for expulsions and suspensions.
    Tulsa are getting involved after getting complaints from parents, that the school is coming down on the pupils too hard. Tulsa want to interact with the school to soften their disciplinary procedures.
    And I just thought, maybe the school have the right idea. Too many kids in school get away with disruption, vandalism and violence.
    Isn't it high time we applauded a school willing to take a firm stand against the thugs in their school?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭gifted

I'd prefer if the schools took a hard line against inadequate teachers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

I'm more surprised that a U.S. city in Oklahoma is getting itself involved in school discipline in Drogheda!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I agree with the school. Too many lax parents leave it to teachers to discipline their little ****s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Just after reading a story in the Times of a secondary school in Drogheda that has three times the national average for expulsions and suspensions.
    Tulsa are getting involved after getting complaints from parents, that the school is coming down on the pupils too hard. Tulsa want to interact with the school to soften their disciplinary procedures.
    And I just thought, maybe the school have the right idea. Too many kids in school get away with disruption, vandalism and violence.
    Isn't it high time we applauded a school willing to take a firm stand against the thugs in their school?

Did they give them 24 hours to sort it out......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Jawgap wrote: »
    Did they give them 24 hours to sort it out......

Off to the TA thread to bemoan that not only do I get the reference I've heard Gene Pitney sing it live!!

• Advertisement

It's an interesting topic because I do wonder how do schools can enforce discipline now. When I went to school, while the teachers couldn't hit us, the fear of my parents being told was usually enough to keep me in line. I knew that if I did step too far out of line, then I would be getting the belt across the back of the legs, or other such punishments when I got home. But now there's this pressure on parents not to physically punish their children.

How can schools enforce discipline on students who neither respect/fear their teachers or their own parents? I guess suspensions/expulsions are all that's left to the schools to deal with excessive behaviour... (at least until we start drugging students like in parts of the US).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Bring back the wooden ruler on the back of the hand treatment. Sort them kids right out!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,558 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Gyalist wrote: »
    I'm more surprised that a U.S. city in Oklahoma is getting itself involved in school discipline in Drogheda!

I only know that is in Oklahoma due to Chandler being forced to move there for work in Friends. :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

According to this its 10 times the average.......

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/expulsion-rate-at-drogheda-school-10-times-national-average-816998.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

I have a kid who had his leg cut by an older pupil while walking up the stairs. The older pupil was given two days extra holidays. Later on his nose was broken by one of his older classmates after months of taunting - two days extra holidays were again awarded to the assailant. When he came back to school after having an operation to reset his nose, one of the pupils in the next year up grabbed his nose and twisted it. Yep, two days extra holidays to that kid too.

There was a kid who was ground zero for the bullying but who kept out of the assaults, the school told us they would get that kid "all the help he needs to understand the harm he is doing". There was no help whatsoever for my kid who is on his third counsellor (paid for by me and my wife). We removed him from the school as they couldn't guarantee his safety. He had to drop a subject he got 100% in his Summer exams and start two new subjects half way through second year. His confidence is absolutely shot and his assailants no doubt boast about how they drove him out of the school.

We do not expel a fraction of the pupils that we need to in this country. In my view it is an abrogation of their responsibilities by teachers. It is far easier for them to throw their hands in the air and say they hare helpless rather than implement their own guidelines and actually provide a safe place for pupils to learn. Instead they interpret the regulation that 'everyone is entitled to a place in school' as being the school's responsibility. **** that, expel the little bastards and let the Department worry about them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Ah St Joes. Its full of little scumbags to be fair. And I mean SCUM.

Advertisement