Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should my friend make a complaint ?

Options
  • 03-12-2017 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi everyone.

My friend had domestic incident on friday night.
    Basically me and him were having few drinks in his house (his room).
    Until another guy that shares house camedown and hit my friend twice in the face for making so much noise - (we were watching notorius documentary and wasant loud at all). Lad that hit my friend in the face was also drinking elsewhere earlier that night so he was drunk too.

Anyway I can understand where he was coming from but hitting someone in the face is not right.
    We had garda on the scene (i know its a bit too much but my friend was really upset).
    Gardas calmed down both parties involved and said they will ring my friend next day when he sobers up. (they never did tho)

I know it sounds ridicolous to go see gards and make complaint for getting couple slaps for making too much noise, but as far as I know the other lad has never apologised and keeps intimidating my friend that shares same house.

What he should do?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,241 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Move?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Perhaps get a UFC cage fitted in the living room for future events, will help increase the peace through sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 OMW

endacl wrote: »
    Move?

Yes my friends is looking for a place to move to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

He can either move or make a complaint.

Sharing a house with someone you've made a complaint against to the police doesn't really sound like enjoyable living conditions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

In my admittedly and thankfully brief experience of house sharing, when I see a claim that somebody wasn't making that much noise drinking with their mates at XAM, they usually really were.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Notorious documentary?

Death On The Rock?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Sweet chin music will sort him out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Tell your friend to contact the landlord. Advise landlord you are seeking legal advise

Perhaps get a UFC cage fitted in the living room for future events, will help increase the peace through sport.

Domestic incidents have always been very random and funny I get it.
    I just feel sorry for my friend that he had to take few punches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭MissMayo

They need to make a complaint to the landlord for the other tenants anti-social behaviour and intimidation. Make sure that it is in writing and keep a copy. If nothing satisfactory comes off it then they can consider taking the landlord to the RTB.

Directly from Thresholds site regarding anti-social behaviour -

"This could be:

A)Committing an offence which is reasonably likely to affect directly the well-being of others.

B)Engaging in behaviour that causes or could cause fear, danger, injury, damage or loss to any person living, working or otherwise in the dwelling or its vicinity."

https://www.threshold.ie/advice/dealing-with-problems-during-your-tenancy/antisocial-behaviour-and-noise-issues/

The other tenant should have done the above if he believed the was a noise issue rather than punching your friend.

• Advertisement

MissMayo wrote: »
    They need to make a complaint to the landlord for the other tenants anti-social behaviour and intimidation. Make sure that it is in writing and keep a copy. If nothing satisfactory comes off it then they can consider taking the landlord to the RTB.

Directly from Thresholds site regarding anti-social behaviour -

"This could be:

A)Committing an offence which is reasonably likely to affect directly the well-being of others.

B)Engaging in behaviour that causes or could cause fear, danger, injury, damage or loss to any person living, working or otherwise in the dwelling or its vicinity."

The other tenant should have done the above if he believed the was a noise issue rather than punching your friend.

So what are my friends options?
    Is it worthwhile going trough all that or just leave it?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Best thing to do is find somewhere else to live ASAP. Either way this is not going to be a happy house to live in from now on, and could get quite dangerous.

splinter65 wrote: »
    Best thing to do is find somewhere else to live ASAP. Either way this is not going to be a happy house to live in from now on, and could get quite dangerous.

What Im trying to find out for him is could he press charges for assault.
    Would he get anything out of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

OMW wrote: »

Victims of assault don’t “press charges” in Ireland.
    He goes to Garda and makes a formal complaint. The Garda then makes a report and the report may be sent to the DPP.
    If the DPP thinks that the incident was serious enough and that there is enough evidence to possibly secure a conviction then your friends assailant will be arrested and charged .
    This all takes a considerable amount of time.
    What do you mean would he get anything out of it? What has it cost him so far?

Until another guy that shares house camedown and hit my friend twice in the face for making so much noise

Press the matter.

Anyone who goes straight for punching into the face for noise? No no no no, next time he may not need a reason, next time your friend may not be ready, next time he may get a broken jaw or eye socket. What the other guy did is waaaaaaaay over the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

MissMayo wrote: »
    They need to make a complaint to the landlord for the other tenants anti-social behaviour and intimidation.

If I was at the house-share stage of life and wasn't on the paperwork for utility bills, I would just move in this scenario.

Simply put, if I'd gotten them kicked out of their accommodations, I wouldn't feel safe living at an address known to the sort of person who would come downstairs and punch someone because they had the TV on too loudly.

Someone who would behave like that is obviously not afraid to be on the wrong side of the law, so if I thought they had a grudge against me, I'd want to be living somewhere unfamiliar to them.

I would make the landlord aware of the situation, quietly and privately, as I was leaving, and ask that he not disclose that I'd told him what happened. Cowardly? Sure, but better safe than sorry.

Was the housemate working in the morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

Your mate should just deck him next time.

Especially after you were watching notorious. He will do nothing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭thedeere

Extract or blast urine. Use whatever resources you have had hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Shenanigans.

1/10

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

If someone did that to me he's be getting a few slaps and more back

• Registered Users Posts: 12,421 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

I sing. I sing. I sing

• Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Steel cage match NO HOLDS BARRRRRRRRRED

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭kaymin

Until another guy that shares house camedown and hit my friend twice in the face for making so much noise

Can you fill us in what happened between him coming down and the fisticuffs? No provocation other than the tv on? :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Would he get some form of satisfaction or compensation is it?

And what does your friend want out of this?

Would he get some form of satisfaction or compensation is it?

And what does your friend want out of this?

He just wants revenge for being punched i think. Hes not looking for claim or anything just thinks its not right. He lived in this house prior that other man and now being bullied out of the house.

kaymin wrote: »
    Can you fill us in what happened between him coming down and the fisticuffs? No provocation other than the tv on? :cool:

After first hit he took his glasses off and said go on hit another time or something like that.
    I didnt want to interfere unless it was full on fight

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hi everyone.

My friend had domestic incident on friday night.
    Until another guy that shares house camedown and hit my friend twice in the face for making so much noise - (we were watching notorius documentary and wasant loud at all). Lad that hit my friend in the face was also drinking elsewhere earlier that night so he was drunk too.
    And you weren't shouting at the TV?

Was the housemate working in the morning?

No, as I mentioned he was on the lash somewhere else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭kaymin

After first hit he took his glasses off and said go on hit another time or something like that.
    I didnt want to interfere unless it was full on fight

Ok, but what happened between him coming down and just before the first hit?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement