Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you mean when you say Self? ?

Options
  • 03-12-2017 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭

What are you? Are you your body? Your brain? What you studied? What other people describe you as? Are you the same person from birth to death?

Or is just mental stuff happening? , are you a bundle of perceptions? . When considering our everyday natural assumption of an enduring self, is this a ‘fiction’ of the mind? Are you the universe experiencing itself through the medium of consciousness ?

What exactly do you mean?

Comments

Mise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Vela

Ah jeebus, it's too early on a Saturday night for this craic. I'll come back to you after a few tequila.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

OP go watch an Alan Watts video or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

I'm 48 and single for years , I'm a Self on the Shelf.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Pithythefool

I am Rocha, by John Rocha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

What are you? Are you your body? Your brain? What you studied? What other people describe you as? Are you the same person from birth to death?

Or is just mental stuff happening? , are you a bundle of perceptions? . When considering our everyday natural assumption of an enduring self, is this a ‘fiction’ of the mind? Are you the universe experiencing itself through the medium of consciousness ?

What exactly do you mean?

Why would the self be a fiction? Consciousness and self consciousness aren’t fictions.

(Get ready for some profound ****..)

The real self is a state of engagement..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

When I say self I mean me, the fella that eats kebabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Tellyium

Fundamental question!! Self is all that you have suggested and more. The parts of self that are emphasized change through life and are tightly coupled with sense of self worth, belief system and familial setting but we exist on social terms and that pretty much defines our sense of self. Short answer: we are who we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Cogito, ergo...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭thedeere

It’s Conspectus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Cogito, ergo...

Sum 41?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Haunted meat basically...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Shouldn’t this shít be in the philosophy forum or is it even too headwrecking for that forum too???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

It's a small town in Arkansas. That is what I always mean, e.g.

"I hope your pleased with your self"

Used when speaking to an inhabitant of Self, Arkansas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

We is who we is

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I am the sum of all my parts and their experiences on this mortal coil :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

According to a new paper just released from a) the Division of Psychology and Language Sciences, University College London and b) the School of Psychology, Cardiff University: The illusion of "self" is a by-product of the non-conscious state of being. Much like the subjective observance of a rainbow. It's the embodiment of a personal narrative which is in itself an accidental consequence of the non-conscious mind

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

fineso.mom wrote: »
    I'm 48 and single for years , I'm a Self on the Shelf.

So , how you doin' ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭JenovaProject

According to a new paper just released from a) the Division of Psychology and Language Sciences, University College London and b) the School of Psychology, Cardiff University: The illusion of "self" is a by-product of the non-conscious state of being. Much like the subjective observance of a rainbow. It's the embodiment of a personal narrative which is in itself an accidental consequence of the non-conscious mind

Yeh,Ill go with that.
    Lots of big words.

Self...yourself,myself,himself,herself.....thats all i got!!

Yeh,Ill go with that.
    Lots of big words.

Self...yourself,myself,himself,herself.....thats all i got!!

Welcome :)

Welcome :)

Happy days:)...Im in the club!!!

Happy days:)...Im in the club!!!

Lol... you'd be the first on Boards to wanna join any club I'm a member of :D

Lol... you'd be the first on Boards to wanna join any club I'm a member of :D

I dont care...I got welcomed to the club,Im gonna embrace it!!!:):)

I dont care...I got welcomed to the club,Im gonna embrace it!!!:):)

Ah, good for you :)

Bienvenue and adieu

Advertisement