Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on MSD Cork?

Options
  • 02-12-2017 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Did an interview at MSD's talent fest on Thursday for a permanent job (they are looking to hire sixty people for their expansion). Have a good feeling that I might get it. Anyone worked there and have a review? Would it be a mistake going there?
    The commute is not ideal (not terrible, but just over double my current 20 minute commute), but it is permanent if I get it.
    I currently work at Johnson and Johnson. They are a good company but they are pretty amateur in a number of areas so the experience is not great. Plus the reputation that J&J have (as reported to me by various people over the years that had worked at other J&J sites) that they don't have much respect for their employees is pretty accurate.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Prospectors

Did an interview at MSD's talent fest on Thursday for a permanent job (they are looking to hire sixty people for their expansion). Have a good feeling that I might get it. Anyone worked there and have a review? Would it be a mistake going there?
    The commute is not ideal (not terrible, but just over double my current 20 minute commute), but it is permanent if I get it.
    I currently work at Johnson and Johnson. They are a good company but they are pretty amateur in a number of areas so the experience is not great. Plus the reputation that J&J have (as reported to me by various people over the years that had worked at other J&J sites) that they don't have much respect for their employees is pretty accurate.

Thanks!

A friend of mine from college currently works there. He says it depends which dept you work in but in general there is a poor culture in the place. If you do go for it, push for a good salary as there is a lot of competition between pharma companies for hiring good people. You could always aim to do 2-3 years to add experience and move on again

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Unregistered Migrant

Is it your college friend's first job? What is he comparing it to? If it is his first job, I am probably a bit older than your friend. I have worked at a number of these companies. None of them really have a "good" culture rather they have a tolerable culture or an intolerable culture (I think this is probably true of all employers, even employees of the God company of Cork, Apple, complain about it).
    If MSD is on the same level as the better places I have worked that would be OK, but if it is bad I might have to think twice if offered something.

Does he complain about it a lot or just grumble from time to time?

The worst place I have ever been was Hovione (absolute dump in every respect) the best place was probably GSK, but even they had their problems (mostly a handful of long term staff that treated new staff like ****).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Here are the reviews for MSD on glassdoor. Best of luck OP!

https://www.glassdoor.ie/Reviews/MSD-Reviews-E550581.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Prospectors

Is it your college friend's first job? What is he comparing it to? If it is his first job, I am probably a bit older than your friend. I have worked at a number of these companies. None of them really have a "good" culture rather they have a tolerable culture or an intolerable culture (I think this is probably true of all employers, even employees of the God company of Cork, Apple, complain about it).
    If MSD is on the same level as the better places I have worked that would be OK, but if it is bad I might have to think twice if offered something.

Does he complain about it a lot or just grumble from time to time?

The worst place I have ever been was Hovione (absolute dump in every respect) the best place was probably GSK, but even they had their problems (mostly a handful of long term staff that treated new staff like ****).

It's his third employment since qualifying and his second employer in the pharma industry. He spent 8-10 years in his previous job. He is in current role about 18 months.
    He puts in 10-15 hours unpaid overtime each week to keep up with workload. It seems the norm for people to work from home in the evenings and weekends. He is actively looking to move again but thinks he may need to reach the 2 year mark to look better on CV.
    In fairness he does say that he feels other departments are different and seem better organised, but due to his qualification and experience, he can't move internally.
    He is the kind of person to really throw themselves into their work though, and do their best. That attitude is probably taken for granted until he just burns out.
    There has been a good turnover of staff in his department in the last 2 years. Plus he knows a few people that are on sick leave due to stress and is worried he'll end up the same. That's one of the main reasons he is looking to move.

Hate to be so negative, this is just one persons take on the place!

Advertisement