Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Studies Degree?

Options
  • 02-12-2017 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Could I become a secondary school language teacher with a European studies degree? In that you'd study two European languages
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Emmser

e567 wrote: »
    Could I become a secondary school language teacher with a European studies degree? In that you'd study two European languages
    Thanks

Are both languages studied alone to degree level, both as a major? They must be majors and if they are, your answer is probably yes. Check with the teaching council to confirm.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

It's all about credits these days, so check out how many credits of each you've done. Then you'll have to check with TC to see if you've done appropriate courses - literature etc. You must also have spent a certain amount of time in the countries in which the languages are spoken.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭cnn27

For what it's worth, I know the UCC European Studies degree would only enable you to teach one language, as you only carry on one language to degree level (that was 5 years ago though, so might have changed). And if I remember correctly, the degree doesn't allow you even teach history or geography, as you don't do enough credits, or the right type of credits, in these subjects either.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭cnn27

For what it's worth, I know the UCC European Studies degree would only enable you to teach one language, as you only carry on one language to degree level (that was 5 years ago though, so might have changed). And if I remember correctly, the degree doesn't allow you even teach history or geography, as you don't do enough credits, or the right type of credits, in these subjects either.

Advertisement