Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something strange on the sky... (pictures)

Options
  • 01-12-2017 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I was walking to work on the morning of 28 nov. 2017, and I saw this strange thing on the sky. It was a clear sky morning, with no clouds, and the sun had just risen. My location at the time was Balycoolin Industrial Estate
    So, to exclude:
    - I live in Tyrrelstown, and I see flying planes every day, so I knew it was not a plane (as you can also see from the pictures)
    - Was not a bird, clearly.

The "thing" was moving very slowly, as it took about 20 min to complete dissapear. I couldn't figure out in which direction was moving, but I'm guessing it was towards east or north-east.
    It looked like a sphere with a tail (like a comet).

Has anybody seen this that morning?

Edit:
    Here are the pictures:

image.ibb.co/bDwmjb/IMG_0438.jpg

image.ibb.co/nEMQcw/IMG_0439.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sup3rfly

Sorry, I can't post pictures because I'm a new user.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Upload image to image hosting website and then post the url minus http:\\www.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

ISS?

I saw it quite clear in the evening earlier this year. I checked on the web and the exact time and direction fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Christmas star?

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    ISS?

I saw it quite clear in the evening earlier this year. I checked on the web and the exact time and direction fitted.

No, I know ISS when I see it. And I saw it a couple of times.

Here are the pictures as you said. Please put https:// in front:

You have to download the pictures and zoom on them to see more clearly what I am talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

sup3rfly wrote: »
    No, I know ISS when I see it. And I saw it a couple of times.

Here are the pictures as you said. Please put https:// in front:

You have to download the pictures and zoom on them to see more clearly what I am talking about.

I can't see anything unusual in either photo. Maybe I shudda gone to Specsavers. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

I don't think there was a meteor, because this object could be seen about 15-20 min before it disappeared. Meteors last a few seconds. From the pictures of course you can say it’s nothing there, but if you zoom in you see a little round shape object with what appears is a tail. You don’t have to beileve me, I saw it.

Well, I guess it was nothing important. I always was fascinated on these kind of stuff. I read a lot of forums with stories that people tell about seing strange things in the sky, but I never saw anything, except this one object. When I was yonger I had a telescope and once I saw a flying object, rombe shaped, and it had a purple color. I was very happy, thinking how lucky I was to see that.

I’m not naive to beileve anythink I read, but I’m convinced that there are strange unexplained in the sky, there are too many testimonials from trusty peoples.

Thanks,
    Criss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

Good camera on that iphone 6. What sort of camera is it and what is the sensor like

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I was walking to work on the morning of 28 nov. 2017, and I saw this strange thing on the sky. It was a clear sky morning, with no clouds, and the sun had just risen. My location at the time was Balycoolin Industrial Estate
    So, to exclude:
    - I live in Tyrrelstown, and I see flying planes every day, so I knew it was not a plane (as you can also see from the pictures)

The "thing" was moving very slowly, as it took about 20 min to complete dissapear. I couldn't figure out in which direction was moving, but I'm guessing it was towards east or north-east.

Edit:
    Here are the pictures:

I seen something similar myself one of the mornings in Tubbercurry Co. Sligo. Not sure was it the same morning, or direction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,694 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Could be something on re-entry, like a space vehicle. With private enterprise there'd be little trace-ability of the event. You can see an object like this hundreds of miles away, it's hard to gauge exactly how far without knowing an object altitude. But even on re-entry, which I imagine would be pretty fast, the 20 minute window you're talking about isn't that perplexing, it could still be traveling at Mach 1 or 2 and still be in visible range that long, again based on conditions and parameters. But, it does look like an object on re-entry. Maybe a Soyuz module or similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

Overheal wrote: »
    Could be something on re-entry, like a space vehicle. With private enterprise there'd be little trace-ability of the event. You can see an object like this hundreds of miles away, it's hard to gauge exactly how far without knowing an object altitude. But even on re-entry, which I imagine would be pretty fast, the 20 minute window you're talking about isn't that perplexing, it could still be traveling at Mach 1 or 2 and still be in visible range that long, again based on conditions and parameters. But, it does look like an object on re-entry. Maybe a Soyuz module or similar?

Why would a re-entry vehicle "re-enter" over Ireland? Unless it's a mistake wouldn't air-traffic and shipping have to be notified of something crash landing on or near Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,694 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Chrongen wrote: »
    Why would a re-entry vehicle "re-enter" over Ireland? Unless it's a mistake wouldn't air-traffic and shipping have to be notified of something crash landing on or near Ireland?

Something traveling at high altitude might still be visible during its re-entry friction burn, but that doesn't mean it was close to touching down in Ireland.

When the Space Shuttle Columbia disintegrated on re-entry due to its compromised heat shield, the debris was visible across the united states, as the shuttles begin their descent out beyond the pacific ocean and land in Cape Canaveral again.

Given what is known of the Russian Soyuz modules and the East-Northeast direction you indicated, this could have been headed towards Russian territory for touchdown, or somewhere in the EU if it was headed toward an ESA facility, or of course it could have been a military craft like the X-37B. Orbital re-entry can begin at speeds upwards of Mach 25 (!) so they don't really start their descent very close to their destination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

So, to exclude:

Edit:
    Here are the pictures:

It looks like a plane that smoke trail behind is a giveaway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

I thought this thread was going to be about Kay Burley

Advertisement