Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water charge rebate.. am I being cynical?

Options
  • 01-12-2017 3:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭

I just wonder am I being cynical here, but is it a coincidence that on the week that many households are receiving their Irish Water rebate, 6 companies hike their charges on the same day?

Sky, Vodafone, Energia, Flogas, PrePayPower and Pinergy. (not to mention the tv license increase)

Festive financial squeeze as six companies hike prices on same day

I know this ties in with the other thread on diminishing disposable income, I thought it might be worthy of a thread of its own.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,410 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

What TV licence increase? Nothing has been confirmed.

This has nothing to do with Irish water but I am sceptical as to why competing companies are increasing prices at the same time.

Stinks of cartels to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,657 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Theres no tv license increase yet, however Dart, Dublin Bus and Luas charges also all went up today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

I know there is no tv license increase yet, but it was being talked about.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,657 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I know there is no tv license increase yet, but it was being talked about.

Not seriously yet, their first move will be to implement the broadcast charge to try bring down the evasion rate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

yeah cos they were all waiting for Irish Water to start sending cheques out.

No this raft of hikes simply illustrates how many companies hike their prices in a given year and that for whatever reason most of the rises seem to occur in the last quarter of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

yeah cos they were all waiting for Irish Water to start sending cheques out.

No this raft of hikes simply illustrates how many companies hike their prices in a given year and that for whatever reason most of the rises seem to occur in the last quarter of the year.

How can 6 of them do this on the same day?

How? By making a strategic decision earlier in the year and announcing it today.

It's coincidence - really. What won't be a coincidence is when others in the same businesses follow their leads.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I doubt they all do it on the very same day. They are not related anyway.

Independent reported it in one day, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Hoboo

How? By making a strategic decision earlier in the year and announcing it today.

It's coincidence - really. What won't be a coincidence is when others in the same businesses follow their leads.

Energia, Flogas, PrePayPower and Pinergy. Are they not all in the same business?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

wonski wrote: »
    I doubt they all do it on the very same day. They are not related anyway.

Independent reported it in one day, though.

The article says that the 6 price rises kick in from today

• Advertisement

Hoboo wrote: »
    Energia, Flogas, PrePayPower and Pinergy. Are they not all in the same business?

They are plenty still to go, Sky, Vodafone will be followed by Eir, Virgin, and whoever else is in that domestic telly-telco providing.

Happily the companies I'm with are pretty good about this - digiweb, Bord Gas Energy. The bins have already gone up due to some pretext or other.

The only coincidence for me is the fact they were all announced on a Friday, probably thought there would be less heat from de Liveline (today is unFunny Friday - edit not on today for some reason) as by Monday this will be old news.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Bio Mech wrote: »
    The article says that the 6 price rises kick in from today

And the customers affected were informed of this in advance.

Some of those price changes are minimal, some of these only affect a small number of customers.

When the price of sugar goes up it goes up in all shops, same with services.

Eir raised their prices earlier, sky dropped and then raised.Pick your deal for a year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

If you go to Water.ie they still have a big green "Pay Now" button. I presume it's for businesses but it's still amusing to me.

Advertisement