Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tis the season to be........

Options
  • 30-11-2017 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

removing the comments from the code to automate the Christmas lights in Home Assistant again........tra la la la la.....

Anyone got any interesting or over the top setups? Pretty simple here, Raspberry pi with Home Assistant and an RFXTRX controlling RF sockets. Outside lights based on sunset/sunrise and tree lights in the same group as internal lights i.e. off when we are in bed.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Pretty much the same just using lightwaverf schedules, more or less the same tricks.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'm using shortcuts in Google Home along with Stringify/IFTTT to automate turning on/off christmas lights, along with other actions.

So "Hey Google, good morning" turns them on and "Hey google, good night" turns them off.

Of course I could stick them on a schedule too, but voice control suits us better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Do you have a light show, or just Xmas lights to turn on/off?

I have a cheerlights-controlled 'rudolph' (wooden reindeer 3d jigsaw thing i picked up in aldi last year) which I've just added google voice control to (hey google, make rudolphs nose green) using ifttt and openhab. It's powered by an esp8266 using mqtt pub-sub to the thingspeak channel for cheerlights, and a neopixel RGB led inside his nose.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

kenmc wrote: »
    Do you have a light show, or just Xmas lights to turn on/off?

Just Christmas lights on/off for now. But come back to me in a year or two ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

bk wrote: »
    Just Christmas lights on/off for now. But come back to me in a year or two ;)

i saw a reference to lightshowpi somewhere, which uses a rasp-pi and solid state relays to time your lights to music. Maybe next year for me too...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

bk wrote:
    I'm using shortcuts in Google Home along with Stringify/IFTTT to automate turning on/off christmas lights, along with other actions.

I'm using stringify and IFTTT too , I've the Philips hue lights and decorations across the front of the house and out in and ip65 box for extenal lights all using lightwaverf sockets.

I ran out of lightwaverf sockets so I had to bring the Smartthings socket into the mix, that's the reason for stringify

IFTTT for the lightwaverf event groups and then stringify for the timer + IFTTT+ Smartthings

Advertisement