Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferguson TEF 20 barn find

Options
  • 30-11-2017 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all, i have a ferguson 20 tef left idle in my shed for last 20 years and i am looking to restore it and i am just wondering what is the best way to go about getting it running? It also doent seem to have a key ignition so does that mean it is a crank start motor ?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

These start off the gear lever, along with pushing in the brass button at your right calf as you sit on the seat. This activates the starter solenoid and will turn the engine.

As for getting it going, they are very robust and simple. Check that the engine is free by turning the crankshaft manually. If you don't have the starter handle, then it may require removing the radiator to get a wrench on it.

After that it's as simple as getting diesel in. Bleed the system from tank, to filter, to 2 screws on the pump, and finally crack an injector nut if needed while turning the engine. That should get it up and running.

I would recommend doing the filters and fluids first if it's been standing that long.

If oil pressure is too low it might give trouble starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Have one here and it's a little bastid to start when all goes well. I'd be inclined to flush everything before I started it. Waterways, diesel tank, pump and injectors. They have probably got a build up of old residue it's standing so long

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

TrailerBob wrote: »
    These start off the gear lever, along with pushing in the brass button at your right calf as you sit on the seat. This activates the starter solenoid and will turn the engine.........

And don't forget the 'cold start' button and the decompression lever!

You can download a manual covering all the 20's (I think?) here:

https://mega.nz/#!IsdF0ZpQ!27WRNO9a-x1ZHmlwMj9GxjzEWrU2Ea5EDY_Y-yiNVSw

And you'll get a few tips from this one, TED 20:

http://www.oldengine.org/members/evans/manuals/Ferguson_TED.pdf

Advertisement