Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wooden Wall Paneling

Options
  • 30-11-2017 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

I am looking to get some wooden wall paneling in a shaker style, is there a particular type of wood I should be looking to use? It will be painted, so does it matter what the wood is?

Here's an example of the look I want to achieve

38d378a3826ff9d0e571bba49471f2a6--men-bedroom-grey-bedrooms.jpg

I presume it is not just the raised pieces that you use wood for? That the entire wall will be covered in a panel of wood first? Otherwise when painted the colour would show up differently on the wood and on the plastered wall.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

I'm seeing this used more and more, recently. It's probably another seven-day wonder fad because, although it looks nice, it's going to be a major dust collector and if you attach it directly to the wall, when you get sick of it your wall will be in bits when you try to take it down. I'd screw some 8 x 4 sheets to the wall and panel that, but I'm not a carpenter so that's just my tuppence worth.

I doubt It'd matter what wood you used, but perhaps MDF for the cost side of things (cheaper in general).

Then as said above, you stick full sheets to the wall and then do the paneling. Otherwise you'll wreck the wall (you won't be doing it any favours with the 8x4 sheets anyway, but definitely will be less messy than paneling straight to it.

MDF will soak up paint though. So be prepared for multiple coats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

Wow, that wall paper is really interesting idea.

If I wanted to use a wood and not MDF, what would be the best wood to use?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

American poplar , easily machined and takes paint well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Wyldwood wrote: »
    I'm seeing this used more and more, recently. It's probably another seven-day wonder fad because, although it looks nice, it's going to be a major dust collector and if you attach it directly to the wall, when you get sick of it your wall will be in bits when you try to take it down. I'd screw some 8 x 4 sheets to the wall and panel that, but I'm not a carpenter so that's just my tuppence worth.

I’d love it in my hall, but i worry that you’re right! If I get sick of it, I’d really regret it (especially when my OH would make me pack my bags and leave after forking out to put it up, AND patch the place up after it was taken down!)

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

Well I'm just doing one feature wall in a bedroom. Worst case I have to rip it down in a few years and plaster one wall. Not that bad or expensive.

I've to rip the wall apart anyway as sockets are in wrong locations. So this will cover it up nicely and no need to replaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

Anyone you would recommend for wall panelling?

Advertisement