Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest etc : Electric company offers vs SEAI Heating control grant

Options
  • 29-11-2017 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭

Nest etc : Electric Ireland offers 1 nest + installation for €130 and the 2nd Nest Thermostat (for a 2nd zone) would be €270.

Does anyone have any opinion on this vs SEAI Heating control grant of 600 euro

Would getting two installed yourself really cost >600 ? Total novice here.

It just seems a bit scam-y to me that EI charge you while also claiming back on your SEAI grant

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

The seai grant is not for installing internet controlled heating. It's for intalling a boiler with zones .... water and radiators can be turned on separately. The electric ireland offer is to attach Nest to this.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

tina1040 wrote: »
    The seai grant is not for installing internet controlled heating. It's for intalling a boiler with zones .... water and radiators can be turned on separately. The electric ireland offer is to attach Nest to this.

Well their is also an SEAI grant for upgrading controls only:

https://www.seai.ie/grants/home-grants/better-energy-homes/heating-upgrade-grants/

And it does seem that both EI and Energia are making use of this for their Nest/Netatmo deals, though it doesn't seem to be the full €600, rather it seems to fall under "Entry Level Heating Controls with Remote Access according to SEAI’s Code of Practice and Standards and Specifications Guidelines."

Which according to this document gives you €88 off in an apartment, €140 off in a house.

https://www.electricireland.ie/docs/default-source/roi-business-help---efficiency/energy-efficiency-qualifying-measures.pdf?sfvrsn=4

That document shows Electric Ireland credits given when you improve energy efficiency. Someone from an EI partner comes out to your home to check the improvements and then they allocate credit to your account. I got a bunch of credits earlier this year when I got a new boiler and external insulation on top of the credit given for changing from another provider. I haven't paid any electricity yet this year.

The SEAI grant €600 is for separating water heating from room heating and not just remotely controlled system. Actually my boiler wasn't new when I got the grant. It was moved and zoned for water/upstairs rads/downstairs rads.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

If you take a look at this document here from the SEAI website, you will see that each of the categories from the EI document, line up with the SEAI document:

https://www.seai.ie/resources/publications/Energy_Saving_Credits_Table.pdf

The one in particular that we re talking about here is:

Entry Level Heating Controls Upgrade only with remote access
    24 hour 7 day programmer & room thermostat
    Programmer to have capacity to adjust heating schedule remotely via Web or SMS

But you can't get the grant just for installing nest or hive or climote. You have to upgrade the heating control into zones. As far as I know nest etc are just the remote access bit. It's a year since I was doing this and I didn't get the remote access system.

The energy efficiency credits are definitely separate from the seai grant. I got both.

• Advertisement

But you can't get the grant just for installing nest or hive or climote. You have to upgrade the heating control into zones. As far as I know nest etc are just the remote access bit. It's a year since I was doing this and I didn't get the remote access system.

Yes you can, you don't have to upgrade the heating zones, it is all their on the linked SEAI grant.

You can also get heating zones upgraded too, it gives you more money off, it falls under:

Fully integrated Heating Controls Upgrade with remote access
    Full zone control on space and water heating, with at least 2 zones for space heating as recommended in TGD L 2008.
    Programmer to have capacity to adjust heating schedule remotely via Web or SMS

But you definitely don't have to do it and it is definitely under this overall grant that EI/Energia are giving reductions on these controls. They certainly aren't doing it out of the goodness of their hearts.

I got €600 seai grant for upgrading heating controls. I was paid into my bank account.

After that, I was able to apply to the EI energy efficiency for credits against my electric account. It was several hundred euros of credit.

I'm afraid I can't see where you can get a seai grant for installing remote control only. Do you mean account credit when you buy the remote control?

It has been so cold in recent days I have been considering getting one. I was on too tight a budget when doing major renovations last year. If I'm not seeing the grant you are seeing, can you reference it?

I got €600 seai grant for upgrading heating controls. I was paid into my bank account.

After that, I was able to apply to the EI energy efficiency for credits against my electric account. It was several hundred euros of credit.

Wow, ok that sounds like you got a fantastic deal so!
    I'm afraid I can't see where you can get a seai grant for installing remote control only. Do you mean account credit when you buy the remote control?

I mean if you go for instance the Netatmo deal from Energia, that you get the Thermostat free from Energia, but it is really being paid out of the SEAI grant. From THE FAQ on the energia page on the deal:

"Your system must be a single zone system that is capable of being upgraded to a system that qualifies as Entry Level Heating Controls with Remote Access according to SEAI’s Code of Practice and Standards and Specifications Guidelines."

Basically this Thermostat costs about €120 and another €200 or so to install, but Energia are offering it for free under the deal.

It has been so cold in recent days I have been considering getting one. I was on too tight a budget when doing major renovations last year. If I'm not seeing the grant you are seeing, can you reference it?

Are you saying that you got a €1,000 of heating upgrades and no smart controls?!

Here are the deals:

https://www.energia.ie/save/netatmo-offers
    https://shop.electricireland.ie/products/install-detail/nest-thermostat

Though given that you have already gotten work done under the grant, you might not be eligible for them now, but no harm in enquiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

I might be wrong, but my understanding was that what EI get out of it is carbon credits to offset against its own carbon emissions.

For example, we got our attic and walls insulated this year, so we got the seai grant, but as an electric Ireland customer we also got an additional 364 euro from electric Ireland in the form of credit against our bills.

It was explained to me that EI do this as they get to offset the carbon reductions estimated from our work being done, so they are effectively buying your carbon savings/credits.

Apparently they used to offset their carbon emissions via purchasing or planting forestry abroad etc, but new regulations mean that they can only offset against measures in their local market, so this is one such measure.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I.might be wrong, but my understanding was that what ei get out of it is carbon credits to offset against its own carbon emissions.

For example, we got our attic and walls insulated this year, so we got the seai grant, bit as an electric Ireland customer we also got an additional 386 euro from electric Ireland in tje form of credit against our bills.

It was explained to me that ei do this as they get to offset the carbon reductions estimated from our work being done, so they are effectively buying your carbon savings.

Apparently they used to offset their carbon emissions via purchasing or planting forestry abroad etc, bit new regulations mean that they can only offset against measures in their local market, son this is one such measure.

Do you have to use one of their ‘partners’ list of credits is here
    https://www.electricireland.ie/docs/default-source/roi-business-help---efficiency/energy-efficiency-qualifying-measures.pdf?sfvrsn=4

• Advertisement

copacetic wrote: »

Yep, you have to use one of their approved partners in order to get the payment/credit.

Just spotted 2 more I could have gotten and not realised (boiler upgrade and stove installaation), but dont think the installer was on their list so lost that.

When you think about it, the nest discount from them is probably paid for using carbon credits, thats how they are funding the discount I think.

Rockin wrote: »
    Nest etc : Electric Ireland offers 1 nest + installation for €130 and the 2nd Nest Thermostat (for a 2nd zone) would be €270.

Does anyone have any opinion on this vs SEAI Heating control grant of 600 euro

Would getting two installed yourself really cost >600 ? Total novice here.

Two nests off the shelf will cost you about 500 euro, plus install.

Getting them from EI will cost you 400, including install. I reckon you are probably saving about 200 quid on that deal, 100 euro on the price of the nest, and at least 100 euro install
    Rockin wrote: »
    It just seems a bit scam-y to me that EI charge you while also claiming back on your SEAI grant

I dont think they are claiming back on your seai grant, they seem to be "purchasing" the carbon credits from the improvement you are making. You cant do anything with a carbon credit, its worthless to you, so they "buy" it off you and use it.

So its seperate completely to the grant, if you are entitled to an SEAI grant for the work you are doing, you are still entitled to it fully!

Thanks wexfordman2, that all makes sense now and actually really good to know. No benefit for me personally due to newer home, but could be very beneficial for my family.

Also thanks to tina1040 for highlighting it.

bk wrote: »
    Thanks wexfordman2, that all makes sense now and actually really good to know. No benefit for me personally due to newer home, but could be very beneficial for my family.

Also thanks to tina1040 for highlighting it.

The grants for upgrading heating are pretty good, and then lumping the EI credits on top of it make it even better, I dont understand why other energy utilites dont also do it, perhaps its not advertised enough for it to be a competitive issue for them.

Over the last 2 years from a seai grant and EI credit perspective we have

a) Upgraded our boiler with I think 700 euro worth of SEAI grant. We forgot/didnt realise we would have gotten additional EI credits of 421 euro
    2) Upgraded cavity wall and roof insulation, with 900 euro worth of SEAI grants and 364 EI credits
    3) Added a stove to the kitchen which would have given us 132 EI credits.

So it total we would have gotten SEAI grant of 1600 PLUS EI credits of 917 or 2517 in total!

Obviosly we missed out on 550 worth of EI credits from the boiler upgrade and stove install.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Yep, you have to use one of their approved partners in order to get the payment/credit.

Just spotted 2 more I could have gotten and not realised (boiler upgrade and stove installaation), but dont think the installer was on their list so lost that.

When you think about it, the nest discount from them is probably paid for using carbon credits, thats how they are funding the discount I think.

Ah ok, have most of that work done already. Would think they would just use seai proof as good enough for them. Ah well!

copacetic wrote: »
    Ah ok, have most of that work done already. Would think they would just use seai proof as good enough for them. Ah well!

Check and see if the guys that did it are registered ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Obviosly we missed out on 550 worth of EI credits from the boiler upgrade and stove install.

Did you apply separately?
    I went to look at the heating upgrade. I'd already applied for the external insulation grant and when I logged in for the heating one I was barred from proceeding as I'd already applied to them for one grant and they recommend you get them all done at once.

Stoner wrote: »
    Did you apply separately?
    I went to look at the heating upgrade. I'd already applied for the external insulation grant and when I logged in for the heating one I was barred from proceeding as I'd already applied to them for one grant and they recommend you get them all done at once.

Are we talking about the seai grant ? We.did ours in two stages, the boiler was done about 12 months before tje insulation, so there were two applications, the first for the boiler, and the second for the attic and wall insulation.

We are waiting for the seai payment for the insulation still, although it should be any day now

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Are we talking about the seai grant ? We.did ours in two stages, the boiler was done about 12 months before tje insulation, so there were two applications, the first for the boiler, and the second for the attic and wall insulation.

That's fine I think it's an issue with the site it seemed to want to exclude my property from any further grants based on having received the external insulation one

Advertisement