Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carrauntoohil and Cnoc na Péiste

Options
  • 29-11-2017 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭

I'm planning a hike this weekend and wondering if any one here has done this route and has any pointers. Starting at Cronin's yard, up Devil's Ladder then right up Carrauntoohil. Then coming back down but instead of descending Devil's Ladder I'd continue along the ridge to Cnoc na Peiste then descend from there. Something similar to the attached image.

Screen_Shot_2017_11_29_at_14_56_05.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Have done similar but go down the zig zags on Cnoc na P, so not as far over east.

There is a cairn on C na P that shows where the zig zags begin and it should be pretty clear, if you decide to go that way for some reason.

When I did it, the ground was quite boggy once you pass back across the shoulder at the devils ladder back up to C na P. It was also a snowy cold day and it still hadn't hardened up, which seemed odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Cheers for the info. Temp looks low for Friday but forecast is clear. Hopefully the bog will be solid enough. Saw a guy running it last year when I was about to head back down Devil's ladder!

CardinalJ wrote: »
    Have done similar but go down the zig zags on Cnoc na P, so not as far over east.

There is a cairn on C na P that shows where the zig zags begin and it should be pretty clear, if you decide to go that way for some reason.

When I did it, the ground was quite boggy once you pass back across the shoulder at the devils ladder back up to C na P. It was also a snowy cold day and it still hadn't hardened up, which seemed odd.

Not the zig zags. They are near Cnoc na Toinne.

The descent off Cnoc na Toinne is not nearly as easy as the zig zags, or indeed the Bone leading from Maolan Bui.

OP, I'd stick with either of those...and the guy running it was possibly me!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I ended up continuing on to The Big Gun after Cnoc na Peist. It looked pretty daunting from Cnoc na Peist but still doable. It was actually really tough at that stage of the day and some parts I found quite technically difficult. Ended up descending hurriedly via the gully at Ballagh Pass as I was worried about the sun going down. Amazing day but I was completely drained by the end of it!

Effects wrote: »
    I ended up continuing on to The Big Gun after Cnoc na Peist. It looked pretty daunting from Cnoc na Peist but still doable. It was actually really tough at that stage of the day and some parts I found quite technically difficult. Ended up descending hurriedly via the gully at Ballagh Pass as I was worried about the sun going down. Amazing day but I was completely drained by the end of it!

It's slightly harder doing it from that side, on the basis that it's easier to get up some of the rock faces scrambling from the east, than to descend them from the west.

• Advertisement
Advertisement