Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me choose a good value blade for one of these.

Options
  • 29-11-2017 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Over the years I've collected the razors below. I can't recall which of the Gillette's came first but in the end, because of the prohibitive cost of the blades, I switched to the Aldi razor who earlier this year introduced the middle razor that worked with their 4 and 6 blade cartridges. The cartridges were super value. I think they were around €3.50 or so for a pack of 6 of the 4 blade cartridges and the same for a pack of 4 of the 6 blade cartridges. (Try saying that when you're drunk!!)

Anyway I tried both the 4 and 6 blade cartridges and found the 4 blade option to be the best for me. It gave a really smooth and close shave, lasted for weeks and was super value for money. Unfortunately Aldi have now discontinued the range leaving only their crappy disposable razors as an option to buy in store.

I'm now a razor orphan looking to source alternative good value blades which will work with any of the three razors below rather than switch to a new system from the likes of Lidl etc but I'm open to doing that if it's the best option. I don't really care which razor I use as long as there is a good supply of blades. I'm happy to buy online in bulk so I have enough blades to do me for a few months or even a year at a time.

I definitely don't want to subscribe to any of the programs where you get sent blades every few weeks. I'd rather just buy what I need when I need it.

Any suggestions?

20171129-11181511955820.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭webpal

Hello there, I too have just discovered aldi are no longer doing the 6's hence my visit here. I see the one on the left is a Mach 3 turbo. I used to buy packets of 8 of the normal Mach 3 blades on eBay and are around €12/13, 4 here in a supermarket are €11. they work on the turbo. I thought I saw new razors in aldi recently but didn't need them but do now so will take a look this week, think they were 4 or 5's, definately weren't 6's

• Registered Users Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭54and56

webpal wrote: »
    Hello there, I too have just discovered aldi are no longer doing the 6's hence my visit here. I see the one on the left is a Mach 3 turbo. I used to buy packets of 8 of the normal Mach 3 blades on eBay and are around €12/13, 4 here in a supermarket are €11. they work on the turbo. I thought I saw new razors in aldi recently but didn't need them but do now so will take a look this week, think they were 4 or 5's, definately weren't 6's

Hey Webpal, hows things? I know we've crossed paths somewhere else before. France Campsite Thread?

Yes, Aldi do have a new 5 blade system which I purchased the handle for last week. It was €4.99 with two blade cartridges.

It works well and the shave is nice and close plus it has a built in side burn / beard trim blade so I'll stick with it but funnily enough I don't think it is as high quality as the 4 blade system in my OP below.

My theory is that the 4 blade system they discontinued was just not profitable enough so they went back to the drawing board and the new 5 blade system is the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭webpal

Yup that's me, I must try that one so, interesting that one of the reviews says it doesn't have that other blade, they must have upgraded. I had just found your link after I posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭54and56

webpal wrote: »
    Yup that's me, I must try that one so, interesting that one of the reviews says it doesn't have that other blade, they must have upgraded. I had just found your link after I posted.

Here's a picture from the rear of the handle packaging.

IMG201803042053511520196931.jpg

I read the "Safeguard Trimmer" piece as meaning it had a thin blade at the top of the 5 blades for trimming locks and beards and from what I can see it does albeit it is "protected" by some ridges which I guess are designed to prevent you cutting into your skin.

20180304-21011520197442.jpg

Advertisement