Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Down jacket suggestions?

Options
  • 29-11-2017 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Looking to buy a down jacket for just walking around in low temperatures and not for exercising/hill walking.

To be honest i don't have much knowledge (probably none), only today trying to figure my way around goose filling/fill power etc, personally for me style is the most important factor when shopping around for clothes so i was looking for a jacket in superdry/the north face/helly hansen which i'm guessing is overpriced and not worth the value :p!

I will be using this jacket on holidays early next year in Finland/Russia.
    My budget is €200 and i don't want something thats below the waist or bulky.
    All suggestions appreciated :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

https://www.alpkit.com/featured/mens-clothing

I have the filo and it's a proper winter down jacket but a bit bulky. You could look at the smaller weight ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Ditto for alpkit, their gear is really good. Last year I moved from down to synthetic and got one of these from Columbia - it's really warm. I'm an old fart though so it may not be high fashion, but the technology works.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

What would you good folks recommend for -10 to -20 degree weather for walking around in a city from these? I was looking at the Patagonia down sweater (or the LL Bean version) but the Aplkit filoment is available for 99 pounds and looks interesting.

The Columbia powderlite looks decent too. What would be the most practical choice? The down ones initially appealled due to needing to bring the jacket on flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Personally I'd prefer something with a hood for temps like those (edit - I see there is a hoody version). Patagonia do top quality (but expensive) stuff, and if you are lucky you can get great prices in their Dublin outlet store. Their gear is also more acceptable as casual/high-street wear ("Patagucci").

Generally the advice I've always heard is to avoid down & go synthetic if you expect to get wet, but if you want pure warmth down is best.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Yeah, I've been caught out a couple of times with down getting wet. It's been on mountains though!
    I use both down and synthetic these says based on activity. Irish climate isn't great for down a lot of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

As said above, down has to be kept dry to function.

A good jacket (down or synthetic) should have no sewn-through areas i.e. it should be box-quilted. Same for sleeping bags.

An alternative construction would be double layer, with offset cold spots (sewn-through areas).

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I've probably one of the best down jackets you can get and while its great it really isn't for Ireland. On the other hand I've a cheapish down duvet waistcoat that is ideal.

Long ago I was told if its wet you wear waterproofs and if you are on snow and ice you wear down. We get lots of rain but very little snow and ice.

The waistcoat is ideal as an additional layer under any outer jacket and reduces heat loss by a big factor, when its wet you can keep it on under waterproofs. The one I have is only a cheap one (fashion item - Old Navy) so relatively bulky but provides a massive amount of insulation for its weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

I can vouch for the Rab Microlight Alpine, only used it once on the hills - on the top of Ben Nevis in February 2016, in clear, sunny but absolutely Baltic conditions.

I use it all the time as my around town jacket and it’s great for keeping the wind off and is seriously warm. I found the dwr and water repellency pretty good and it stays warm when wet, though obviously it won’t handle heavy rain or even prolonged exposure to light rain.

It fits well and looks good and practically every bricks and mortar outdoor store in Dublin stock them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

DonJose wrote:
    I use this website for gear reviews,

Also use it all the time. Great site, but a lot of the reviews tend to be for brands that are more popular in the U.S.

If you want to try something on you might not find it in Ireland.

• Advertisement

DonJose wrote: »

A good review site and probably ideal for the OP who is interested in fashion but no way would I spend money on a down jacket and wear it as tight as those guys in the pictures on the site.

If you want a "car to bar" jacket then fine but if you are wearing it to keep you alive on a mountain then I've want a tad more room for outdoor clothes underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

The Antrim jacket is also nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

my3cents wrote: »
    A good review site and probably ideal for the OP who is interested in fashion but no way would I spend money on a down jacket and wear it as tight as those guys in the pictures on the site.

If you want a "car to bar" jacket then fine but if you are wearing it to keep you alive on a mountain then I've want a tad more room for outdoor clothes underneath.

Maybe they use it as a midlayer? In really bad weather I’d be throwing the hardshell over the top and an extra fleece underneath, you can’t be wanting too much more than 5 layers surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

my3cents wrote: »
    ... if you are wearing it to keep you alive on a mountain.. .

Go for a box-quilted (or at least offset double-layer) one for that, and keep it dry.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Go for a box-quilted (or at least offset double-layer) one for that, and keep it dry.

Mine is the one with 1977 written across it http://www.mountainequipment.co.uk/lightline-anniversary . It really is that old and still going strong but as I said I rarely wear it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I actually got an Eider jacket today. It was too cheap to turn down at €37 :)

Advertisement