Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Declaring car off the road. Cancelling insurance

Options
  • 29-11-2017 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

Hi. My can recently became un-usable on the roads so I declared it off the road online for 3 months.

Is there anything else I need to do or be aware of?

In relation to my insurance I still have 6 months left. Don't really want to have a black mark in the future that might drive my rates up. Is it worth paying out another €200 over the next 6 months? I know policies differ. My no claims is currently at 5 - 6 years

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Magic ]=)

If you keep your insurance you'll be able to drive other cars (certain conditions apply and depending on the type of your policy)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

Some insurance companies will remove the driving risk from a policy and just leave fire and theft. This reduces the price by a fair amount and you also still earn a no claims bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭DarraghR

Right so my car was declared off the road since the end of December till now. Insurrance renewal was due 4 days ago but I have yet to repair my old car or get a new one.

I only learned yesterday that if you are not driving or on the road for 12 months you loose all of your no claims!

With my situation does this mean that I have 6 months or so to have a car back on the road? What about my current Insurrance coming to an end. Is there anything I might be missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

DarraghR wrote: »
    Right so my car was declared off the road since the end of December till now. Insurrance renewal was due 4 days ago but I have yet to repair my old car or get a new one.

I only learned yesterday that if you are not driving or on the road for 12 months you loose all of your no claims!

With my situation does this mean that I have 6 months or so to have a car back on the road? What about my current Insurrance coming to an end. Is there anything I might be missing.

First your no claims bonus lasts for 2 years (not all insurers like a gap in cover but generally most will quote so long as there is a reasonable explanation). Second, did you suspend your policy as suggested? You should be due a good refund by now which you can put against your renewal and immediately suspend the policy again.

You can always let the current policy lapse from renewal but then you will have to set up a new policy when you are putting the car back on the road and if it's an old car then the number of companies who would quote would be limited

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭DarraghR

Cows Go µ wrote: »
    First your no claims bonus lasts for 2 years (not all insurers like a gap in cover but generally most will quote so long as there is a reasonable explanation). Second, did you suspend your policy as suggested? You should be due a good refund by now which you can put against your renewal and immediately suspend the policy again.

You can always let the current policy lapse from renewal but then you will have to set up a new policy when you are putting the car back on the road and if it's an old car then the number of companies who would quote would be limited

I have the car declared off the road still and my current policy can be renewed but quote will expire in the next 3 days.

Already got my refund which wasn't much at all because they don't refund the last 3 months which was my premium. Got about 95.00 and my insurance total was about 600.00.

Biggest fear is loosing my 6yrs no claims as it gives me 50 - 60% discount

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

I have the car declared off the road still and my current policy can be renewed but quote will expire in the next 3 days.

Already got my refund which wasn't much at all because they don't refund the last 3 months which was my premium. Got about 95.00 and my insurance total was about 600.00.

as long as you have a plausible reason for been out of insurance (car off road, extended holiday etc) you'll be fine.

Up to a year, no issue. Longer than a year and you have less choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

Why would you have less choice if over a year without insurance when irish insurance companies allow for a two year lapse before your ncb is invalid?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

CeilingFly wrote: »

as long as you have a plausible reason for been out of insurance (car off road, extended holiday etc) you'll be fine.

Up to a year, no issue. Longer than a year and you have less choice.
    rubbish talk 

your ncb is good for 2 years

Advertisement