Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you know your places?

Options
  • 29-11-2017 1:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭

I was watching a twitter yoke thingy of a Channel 4 voxpop asking them to draw the border here in Ireland, only one of them, an ould beardy buck, drew Donegal into the South (:p)

Some of the excuses were we wouldn't know where Cornwall or London were on the map, I take great umbridge at that slur.

Prove me right AH, we know our places, don't we?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Yes

Do I win?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Yes

Do I win?

A one way trip to Truro.

Congratulations

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I know where Dublin is.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

How many people were asked in total? They just showed the extremely bad misses.
    Any English people I know would have a good stab at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

All I care about is if there is a sun or a rain cloud over my area on the weather. The rest is irrelevant

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Id say a lot of people in this country woulds balls that up. Bit like the boundary commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

What mean places know you say?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,195 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

For some strange reason I learnt the location of all the English counties earlier this year.

For some strange reason I learnt the location of all the English counties earlier this year.
    Even Rutland?

anna080 wrote: »
    All I care about is if there is a sun or a rain cloud over my area on the weather. The rest is irrelevant

Them clouds with the sun shining out of them aren't to scale :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,195 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Even Rutland?

Yes!
    I learnt the map with the outline first and then without the outline and even gave a go at a mirrored map.
    My biggest mistake were mixing Oxfordshire and Cambridgeshire.

Yes, I know it's a little odd.

Yes!
    I learnt the map with the outline first and then without the outline and even gave a go at a mirrored map.
    My biggest mistake were mixing Oxfordshire and Cambridgeshire.

Yes, I know it's a little odd.

Yes. Oxford is a complete dump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

If Brits can't point out the border themselves could we not just move it up a few yards every night until we've the 6 counties back again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Noveight wrote: »
    If Brits can't point out the border themselves could we not just move it up a few yards every night until we've the 6 counties back again?

Leave it where it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Prove me right AH, we know our places, don't we?

https://www.sporcle.com/games/mhershfield/us-states-no-outlines-minefield

I can do this most of the time. I'd sometimes fail on Rhode Island because it's so tiny.

Noveight wrote: »

Or better still. Take back the six counties and move the border around Dublin

https://www.sporcle.com/games/mhershfield/us-states-no-outlines-minefield

I can do this most of the time. I'd sometimes fail on Rhode Island because it's so tiny.

Oklahoma always gets me, ducking nowhere man!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Oklahoma always gets me, ducking nowhere man!

Ok I lied I did it again and Idaho kept messing me up. Got it eventually, was trying eastern Washington...

I know the approximate location of them all but places like Tennessee, no you clicked just inside Kentucky you buffoon :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

How can anyone not remember FAT DAD from their school days?

Fermanagh
    Antrim
    Tyrone

Derry
    Armagh
    Down

Unless they were never taught it, obviously! :pac:

Fermanagh
    Antrim
    Tyrone

Derry
    Armagh
    Down

Unless they were never taught it, obviously! :pac:
    Or alphabetically.

Antrim
    Armagh

Derry
    Down

Fermanagh

Tyrone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

In England.
    Even Rutland?
    Also in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I would know the general location of English counties.

More relevantly, I would certainly know where England, Scotland and Wales are, which is the kind of basic knowledge those Brits were lacking in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

'Northern Ireland' is a bit misleading in fairness. If it was named Northeastern Ireland it would be more accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Fermanagh
    Antrim
    Tyrone

Derry
    Armagh
    Down

or DAFT AD.
    (or DAFT DA.)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

sligojoek wrote: »
    How many people were asked in total? They just showed the extremely bad misses.
    Any English people I know would have a good stab at it.

Limerick people would have a stab at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,354 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

A lot of Irish people would be pretty useless at being able to identify where Wales borders England and quite a few wouldn't know much about the location of the Scottish border either, other than it being around the northern part of the island. So I wouldn't feel too superior about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 18,877 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I would know the general location of English counties.

More relevantly, I would certainly know where England, Scotland and Wales are, which is the kind of basic knowledge those Brits were lacking in.

Since after the general election there most news channels had to run stories telling the British that Northern Ireland was part of the United Kingdom and who the DUP are is it surprising that some do not know the Irish border. Did they ask any to draw the borders on the island of Britain?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I was chatting to a Limerick lady from the plentyoffish dating site only yesterday, and she asked me if Donegal was in Northern Ireland. I've neglected to contact her since.
    Though to give her her due, she did preface it with "This is probably a silly question, but..."

Though my own geography is pretty crap to be fair - I didn't know where in England Birmingham was until I had been working there for a month, and I didn't know where in the US California was until I had to fly there for work.. Maybe your w'an and I are meant to be (lost) together, after all :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement