Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation of someone to widen gate and drive for a second parking space

Options
  • 28-11-2017 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We’re looking for recommendations for someone to widen our drive and lay some additional concrete over what is currently grass, alongside the existing drive to give us a second off-street car parking spot.

Looking for someone reliable and established that people can personally recommend. We’re based just off the Lough.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Butler's Tarmacadam : https://www.facebook.com/butlerstarmac/

I'd double check that you don't need planning permission to do that though. It changes the appearance of the front of your house and if a neighbour complains....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

You need planning for that. It changes the appearance of the wall/house. Widening the driveway will reduce the onstreet parking outside potentially and also dishing the footpath to accommodate the drive is the council's responsibility. I'd question any builder who'd do this without the required permissions in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

You might have to pay a roads contribution also, I had to do that :( €900

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Butler's Tarmacadam : https://www.facebook.com/butlerstarmac/

I'd double check that you don't need planning permission to do that though. It changes the appearance of the front of your house and if a neighbour complains....
    Cheers.

It does need planning permission, yeah. At the moment I just want to get a few quotes and ideas from them as to what they can do for us and after that we’ll get into organising a PP application.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

JMNolan wrote: »
    You might have to pay a roads contribution also, I had to do that :( €900
    Yeah, someone had mentioned that to me alright. Bit of a pain, but what can you do, I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Logo

Does planning permission and/or road contribution to widen a driveway apply to home owners living in a housing estate too?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭aratsarse101

I'm wondering the exact same thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Logo wrote: »
    Does planning permission and/or road contribution to widen a driveway apply to home owners living in a housing estate too?

Yeah it does. The road contribution might be different if the estate is not yet taken over by the council. Then in that case it's the developer who would have to sort that out. Probably charge for any work done or else they'd allow your own contractor to do it. But planning required regardless.

• Moderators Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Does planning permission apply if you're not extending the driveway entrance? ie. Everything change is contained inside the driveway.

• Advertisement

Does planning permission apply if you're not extending the driveway entrance? ie. Everything change is contained inside the driveway.

It depends. If you're paving over the existing front garden then planning will be needed because runoff water has nowhere to go and could cause issues for you or neighbours. A small extension of paving while keeping some garden for water to run into is unlikely to need planning but best to check with the council first.

Advertisement