Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Secondary School Teacher - Clarification needed

Options
  • 28-11-2017 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I'm a second year BA student currently studying History and Archaeology, although I now know I want to become a Secondary School History and Geography teacher. I'm aware I can't switch the subjects in my BA at this stage, so I was wondering if I finish out my BA Degree (with History as my major) and do a HDip in Geography after that, would I be okay then to do my PME in History and Geography (and possibly CSPE) teaching? It'll mean a total of 6 years in college but its something I know for definite that I want to do..

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Have you looked at the employment prospects for that combination of subjects?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Shockz

From what I hear from teachers, its a fairly good combination to have as not many would hold this combination, I know of only 2 teachers with this combination and they found a position almost straight away and have lasted in it since..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Keep an eye on educationposts.ie and see the real situation.

Are you happy to take part-time hours for a number of years?

How do mean? As in do you believe there isn't much going for that combination? I'll have 3 teaching subjects available to teach by the time I finish college and look for work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Shockz wrote: »
    How do mean? As in do you believe there isn't much going for that combination? I'll have 3 teaching subjects available to teach by the time I finish college and look for work

History and geography are a very common combination and not a great one for teaching I'm afraid. There was an over-supply of History/Geography teachers a while back - I'm not sure now as there is a shortage of subs in all subjects.

Also with the introduction of the new junior cycle, history and geography are being combined and are being made an optional subject so that will have a knock on effect on vacancies. CSPE will be no more in the next two years - don't know what's replacing it - wellbeing I suppose.

It is very difficult to find work in all subjects - it all depends on luck. If you're in Dublin, you'll pick up work no bother but keep the rent in mind with the miniscule pay you will receive. I would consider doing the PME very strongly before investing €12,000 and two years very seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

You mentioned tha your BA will be in History and Archeology, this would qualify you to teach History... have you enough credits to teach Geography, you can’t just decide to do your PME in Geography an get qualified. Also CSPE is generally given as a ‘filler’ subject so don’t count on getting a job with CSPE. You really do need to look at the realistic job prospects of possibly only having History.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

This is not a good combination for getting full time work because it's so oversubscribed. CSPE will not be viewed as a viable third subject - you would have to have studied Sociology or Politics to be registered in it anyway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

solerina wrote: »
    You mentioned tha your BA will be in History and Archeology, this would qualify you to teach History... have you enough credits to teach Geography, you can’t just decide to do your PME in Geography an get qualified.

The OP said they would do a HDip in Geography which is accepted by the TC (the ones I looked at in UCC anyway). After the one year HDip you'd have the credits to teach, and then they'd do the PME.

Forget about CSPE. Once the exam is gone (current 1st years onwards) no principal will care who teachers it. It'll be even more a filler than it is now.

It's not a great combo, but I wouldn't let it totally put you off. But expect to earn 50% of a teacher wage for a few years after graduation.

solerina wrote: »
    You mentioned tha your BA will be in History and Archeology, this would qualify you to teach History... have you enough credits to teach Geography, you can’t just decide to do your PME in Geography an get qualified. Also CSPE is generally given as a ‘filler’ subject so don’t count on getting a job with CSPE. You really do need to look at the realistic job prospects of possibly only having History.

Once I complete the HDip I'll have enough credits to teach it, I'll drop the idea of CSPE because i simply forgot that its being made redundant soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Once I complete the HDip I'll have enough credits to teach it, I'll drop the idea of CSPE because i simply forgot that its being made redundant soon.

Teaching jobs these days are about hours, not jobs. It's hard to get full time hours. That is a huge problem. The other is the reduction in the number of subjects students will take for the new junior cert. In many schools History and Geography were compulsory subjects, now they are optional.

To take my own school as an example, we typically have three class groups in first year. As the new junior cycle limits students to 10 subjects (instead of 11 or 12), history and geography have gone into the options. So now in first year we have two geography classes and one history class instead of three of each.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Teaching jobs these days are about hours, not jobs. It's hard to get full time hours. That is a huge problem. The other is the reduction in the number of subjects students will take for the new junior cert. In many schools History and Geography were compulsory subjects, now they are optional.

To take my own school as an example, we typically have three class groups in first year. As the new junior cycle limits students to 10 subjects (instead of 11 or 12), history and geography have gone into the options. So now in first year we have two geography classes and one history class instead of three of each.

Is there anyway of training to be a mindfulness teacher?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Is there anyway of training to be a mindfulness teacher?:pac:

I think mindfulness is over rated.

This looks like way more fun

http://www.angerroom.com/ :pac:

I'm flexible enough as regards my interests, so if i go down the path of History and English Teaching would I be better suited to find work? Obviously my HDip would be in English then would do my PME, although it is costly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

I'm flexible enough as regards my interests, so if i go down the path of History and English Teaching would I be better suited to find work? Obviously my HDip would be in English then would do my PME, although it is costly

English and History are the subjects with most graduates i.e. oversupply. Languages and maths are in demand at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

You'd be surprised how little English and history teachers are out there. English is now with pe or other small subjects. It's like finding a maths and science teacher, it's becoming rare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

TheDriver wrote: »
    You'd be surprised how little English and history teachers are out there. English is now with pe or other small subjects. It's like finding a maths and science teacher, it's becoming rare

I would agree. They are like hens teeth for the last two years.

Be careful of your second subject. It might be the only one you ever teach, you'd want to like it, a lot.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Be careful of your second subject. It might be the only one you ever teach, you'd want to like it, a lot.

Yup - I made that mistake!! Thankfully I don't teach it often but I live in fear of having to teach it to LC. :o

Advertisement