Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gary Numan, Olympia Theatre, Dublin 29/3/18

Options
  • 28-11-2017 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭

Having seen Gary Numan twice this year and 10 times in total, I can assure you this will be one of the gigs of 2018.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭bullpost

Wouldnt mind going to this. Will it sell out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

He'll come close to selling it out.
    He sold out the Button Factory in 2012 and 2013.
    There's definitely an appetite for him here.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

Jeez the machine music gig in the button factory in 2012 was immense!

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

Tickets on sale since 10am

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Bump, who's heading along to this?
    Approximate stage times as follows: doors open 7pm, support from Nightmare Air due at 8pm, with Gary Numan due on stage at 9pm. We expect the show to be over sometime around 10.45pm/11pm

Please note, times subject to change as always and should be used as a guideline only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Yep, cant wait.

I would suggest everyone going to familiarise themselves with his last 2 albums "Splinter" and "Savage". His set leans heavily on both, particularly "Savage".

On monday next (April 2nd), he is also announcing 5 shows in November.
    These shows will see him perform with an orchestra. Cities touted are Glasgow, Manchester, Birmingham, Cardiff and finishing at the Royal Albert Hall in London.

poundhound wrote: »
    Yep, cant wait.

I would suggest everyone going to familiarise themselves with his last 2 albums "Splinter" and "Savage". His set leans heavily on both, particularly "Savage".

On monday next (April 2nd), he is also announcing 5 shows in November.
    These shows will see him perform with an orchestra. Cities touted are Glasgow, Manchester, Birmingham, Cardiff and finishing at the Royal Albert Hall in London.

Great News that!
    To anyone who hasn't yet heard Savage, go out and get a copy. It's incredible start to finish!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Gutted to be missing this tonight. Anyone going tonight I'd appreciate a wee review 2moro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭dasdog

I'd have appreciated a live performance. It was a good show and very dark and loud and entertaining but it was Top Of The Pops mostly throwing shapes to backing tracks. Joan Baez at least did her thing last Thursday and played and sang and she is 77.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

dasdog wrote: »
    I'd have appreciated a live performance. It was a good show and very dark and loud and entertaining but it was Top Of The Pops mostly throwing shapes to backing tracks. Joan Baez at least did her thing last Thursday and played and sang and she is 77.

Did he not have any analog synths etc up there blaring out? Disappointing if not. Old material/new material?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭bkrangle

I really enjoyed the performance.

The setlist drew heavily from his latest album, savage, but classic tracks such as cars, down in the park, metal and are friends electric were all played.

dasdog wrote: »

Despite really enjoying the gig, I felt the exact same, the sound was too full on to be coming from solely the band onstage. I know there is a lot going in to recreate live, but how much was been played live!?!

Also what was up with Gary's vocals!?! He was buried and hardly audible for most songs. Then when he came out after the encore to speak to the crowd he could barely be heard and his voice sounded a bit shot.

Gary is such a credible genius and I really enjoyed the performance, but felt it was just that! Not a live performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

i wasn't there but it is quite difficult to recreate a lot of tunes with an analog synth in a live setting, you can of course get close and have a synth with memory banks but still....it is far easier and more reliable(= less stress) having them queued to play from a backing drive, sampler/computer then just playing over it, varying the rhythm. All bands are doing it and rightly so. Even JM Jarre is doing it, even though he brings a lot of analog gear with him on stage, it is just not possible to do live

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭dazkie

I was there and thought he was outstanding. A brilliant gig

Advertisement