Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New 2 Man Tent

Options
  • 28-11-2017 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi all,

I got into hiking the last few months and really enjoyed it so much so that I am planning a few camping trips when the weather improves.

I already have quite a bit of the necessary equipment from the hiking but I am at a complete loss when it comes to tents. The more I research the more confused I become . . . . . weight, shape, size, waterproof rating, pitch time, inner/ outer pitch first, pack size etc.

In terms of requirements, although I expect to mostly be a fair weather camper, given our lovely Irish weather I will need something that can withstand a good down pour and strong winds. I am over 6 foot so will need a long enough tent. Budget is up to €300 and although not strictly concerned with weight, I do not want to be lugging 3 plus kg around.

What do Boards.ie Campers use and recommend?

Is there anywhere I can see the tents actually pitched? I think Charles Camping in Blessington have tents on display but need to confirm?

Is there anything else I should be considering?

Thanks,

TDM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭tphase

I reckon you need to list your priorities in order and work from there
    For me a trekking tent would have to be
    1) Light, ideally under 2kg (as a result it will also be smaller pack size)
    2) Quick to pitch (practice makes perfect!)
    3) Pitch outer first or all as one (keeps the inner dry in the rain)
    4) Have enough porch space to store boots and a small cookset
    5) Space to store a rucksack under cover (not necessarily easily accessible)

It would also be nice if it was freestanding and had the space of a 1.5 or 2 man tent but that usually means it's pitched inner first and is heavier or it's a single skin tent.

In terms of shape, you probably only need to consider if you want a tunnel tent or another type. Tunnel tents are great for usable space, you get good head height and the porch is often as big as the sleeping area so plenty of room for gear storage and space to cook in out of the rain. But you pay in weight and they are not freestanding.
    Most other designs will give you more limited porch space but will be lighter and the geodisic designs will be more stable

I wouldn't go for more than a 3 season tent (more seasons=heavier), 2-season is probably enough for you

Have a look at Vango, they make some good, reasonably priced tents and you can probably find last seasons (or older) models fairly cheaply in some of the outdoors discounters. (I was very happy with my Vango TBS micro 100, probably only available 2nd hand now. Look for the bigger 150 and 200 versions). Also look at the Wechsel Pathfinder zero G - friend of mine got one last year very cheap because it was orange. Presumably not a popular colour:). He's happy with it despite the fact that it's a bit bright in the morning

I'll leave it at that before I start on about tarps and hammocks....

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭thedavman009

Thank you for the detailed response tphase.

I have had a look online at Vango tents already but there were so many different models I didn't know what to look for and what was current/ old. Will take another look at them.

Is there anywhere in the Dublin, Kildare, Wicklow area Ireland that I can see Vango tents in the flesh?

TDM

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭thedavman009

I have had a look at the Vango tunnel tents.

What do people think of the Meteor 200?

Do any Boards.ie Campers have this tent or the Nova 200 which seems to be the identical model from last year?

Thanks,

TDM

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭ShadyAcres

I have had a look at the Vango tunnel tents.

What do people think of the Meteor 200?

Do any Boards.ie Campers have this tent or the Nova 200 which seems to be the identical model from last year?

Thanks,

TDM
    Can't speak for the Meteor or the Nova. I have the vango banshee 200 and i'm very happy with it. (Check loads of reviews on youtube). I camp a bit in the mountains and its a very good tent and very lightweight for the price. Its available on Amazon uk... Recommend.
    Remember that a 2 man is really a 1 man or a 3 man is really a 2 man once you get your gear in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,030 ✭✭✭✭Esel

ShadyAcres wrote: »
    Can't speak for the Meteor or the Nova. I have the vango banshee 200 and i'm very happy with it. (Check loads of reviews on youtube). I camp a bit in the mountains and its a very good tent and very lightweight for the price. Its available on Amazon uk... Recommend.
    Remember that a 2 man is really a 1 man or a 3 man is really a 2 man once you get your gear in there.

+1

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
Advertisement