Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool

Options
  • 28-11-2017 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 31,852 ✭✭✭✭

Cant see a thread on this one...just wondering if anyone has seen this yet? Would recommend? Meant to be heading at weekend.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,101 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I only recently heard about Gloria Grahame so looking forward to it, Annette Bening getting a lot of praise and award buzz

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I only recently heard about Gloria Grahame so looking forward to it, Annette Bening getting a lot of praise and award buzz

Check out The Big Heat, In A Lonely Place and The Bad And The Beautiful (which she won a Oscar for, they show her speech at the end of the film) also she's in It's A Wonderful Life. Her life story is definitely very interesting, and the treatment of her by the studios was sad basically blackballing her after a great first 8 years or so. Her love life was a soap opera.

Loved the Film, Annette Benning as per usual is fantastic (when isn't she) and will more then likely get a Oscar nod, Jamie Bell was great too. Also Stephen Graham gets the nod for most OTT in Cinema history, also great to see Julie Walters and Vanessa Redgrave in small roles. Definitely Paul Mcguigan's best film since his awesome debut Gangster No.1.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

I saw it.
    The leads, Annette Bening, particularly, and Jamie Bell were very good. In fact all performances including Kenneth Cranham, Julie Walters, and Vanessa Redgrave were all top notch.
    The story was straight forward enough and handled the older woman, toy boy relationship quite well. This could have slipped into schmaltz but didn't and was surprisingly emotional. The longer it went on the more Bening looked like Gloria Grahame! It was funny, charming, and heart warming.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭sporina

watched this the other night - omg - absolutely lovvvved it,,, I don't cry easily when watching movies but I had to work hard to hold back the tears on this one.. so well written, acted, directed, produced etc.. man Annette Benning is class - the role was perfect for her.. and I adored how the scenes moved so beautifully from one time frame to another..

• Registered Users Posts: 85,101 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

This is on RTE 1 now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Saw this too, gorgeous film, glad I'm not the only one who liked it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Just watched. Lovely.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

A lovely and very touching movie. I've seen it 3 or 4 times.

Annette Bening is so good in everything.

Advertisement