Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homophobic letters sent to Clondalkin councillor

Options
  • 28-11-2017 1:12am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Independent councillor for Clondalkin Francis Timmons has reported receiving homophobic mail to his home address this week. This is the second time in the last few months this has happened. The first incident was in July and it was a picture of the pope addressed to him and his husband (who is not a public servant) and the address on the envelope contained homophobic slurs.

He has not said what the most recent letter contained other than to confirm it was more homophobic slurs. No way to know if the two are from the same person.

I really have to wonder what it takes for people to go to the effort of writing and sending one of these letters, the level of venom needed. I hope this is not a sustained campaign against this man and his husband, it must be so unsettling and intimidating to get this bile sent to their home address. A total invasion of their personal lives. Hopefully there will be no more of these letters.

Sadly this is a reminder that homophobia is still around in certain, ever diminishing, circles of our society. Maybe the gardai can do something about these letters.

Dublin Live

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Am sorry for him and his husband. Nobody, in any walk of life, deserves that kind of hatred. Hope the Gardaí can find out who it is and unmask the coward behind it. Things like this used to shock me - now they just make me angry.

It may well just be one twisted individual, hiding behind a cloak of religion or whatever, but for the couple being targetted it must make them feel vulnerable. My sympathies to them both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

:(
    It's 2017, FFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,982 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Heebie wrote: »
    :(
    It's 2017, FFS!

And?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

and it's sad and disgusting that people still do stuff like this in 2017. I thought that much was implied.

Heebie wrote: »
    and it's sad and disgusting that people still do younger like this in 2017. I thought that much was implied.

Actually I didnt really understand your point

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Actually I didnt really understand your point

Probably because my autocorrect changed stuff to something nonsensical. ;/

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Absolutely despicable. Hate crime legislation is definitely needed here which Cllr Timmons proposes. The perpetrators of this vile homophobia should receive harsh sentences but knowing the Irish judiciary, if caught they will probably just get a slap on the wrist.

Thankfully, these incidents are quite rare but I think the marriage referendum has brought out latent homophobia in some scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Hateful stuff -- the damage to their door and car is shocking enough but the stress, fear and anxiety caused by the attack, added to the threats and intimidation, and the fear of a repeat are on another scale altogether. :(

I hope the Gardaí are able to track down and prosecute the offender(s), though I wouldn't be holding my breath for a successful outcome to any court case. I would also expect his fellow councillors and others in the community to be vocal in their support too.

Advertisement