Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric bike

Options
  • 28-11-2017 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

Can anyone give me some information about electric bikes, price, and how good are they now, seen one in halifords for around the 1200 mark I know halifords are cheap and cheerful, I would be totally for leasure, would love to get 1 for a week. Seen gteck on tv seems a serious machine your taughts please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Halfords are the bargain basement of pedelecs, but that doesn't mean the quality is poor. If you would like to try one out you should approach a local retailer who may lend you one for an hour, but not a week.
    (Having said that, I see that gtech to a 14 day trial! - http://www.gtech.co.uk/ebike.html)

Street-legal pedelecs are capped at 25Kph assist mode, but you cam obviously cycle faster than that if you want to.

The more sophisticated/expensive models would have a center mounted motor rather than a hub motor.

If its just for leisure then I'm sure the Halfords models would be up to the job

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,662 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

There are a few recent posts covering different parts of your query. Try a search of "e bike" any you should get some examples

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Joe1919

popa smurf wrote: »
    Can anyone give me some information about electric bikes, price, and how good are they now, seen one in halifords for around the 1200 mark I know halifords are cheap and cheerful, I would be totally for leasure, would love to get 1 for a week. Seen gteck on tv seems a serious machine your taughts please.

Hi. My daughter bought this bike in the Halfords black Friday sale for 600 euro. She collected it flatpacked and gave it to me to assemble and try out for her, which I did with pleasure.
    The bike is sturdy looking (almost like a high Nelly) and has strong mudguards and carrier.
    It takes a little getting use to on the road. I am in my 60s and it can take me normally about an hour to travel the 10 miles to my nearest big town on my hybrid. On this bike, I can make this journey in about 45 minutes. The big advantage is on the hills (and against wind), where it makes up the time. On the flat and especially downhill or tail wind, there is not much advantage, as bike is limited to 15 MPH and I would nearly reach this anyhow.
    I have tried this bike on a steep 10% hill but it struggles and stalls at this steep grade, even with me in the lowest gear (38/32) and pedaling with all my (feeble?) strength. But it handles 5% hills great.
    I have got about 27 miles battery range on its highest speed position. (36v 8.8ah battery). I did not see much point in using the lower speed positions, as I would nearly pedal at this speed. I also notice that I tended to leave the bike in the highest gear (38/13), except on steeper hills, as the motor kicks in and compensates on smaller hills.
    http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/electric-bikes/pendleton-somerby-electric-bike-black-rose-gold-17-19-frames

Advertisement