Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microdisney - NCH 2 June 2018

Options
  • 27-11-2017 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭

Microdisney perform
    The Clock Comes Down The Stairs

Saturday 2nd June 2018, 8pm

Tickets on sale this Wednesday 29th November at 10am

On Saturday 2nd June 2018, legendary Cork band Microdisney featuring Cathal Coughlan (vocals), Sean O’Hagan (guitar), Jon Fell (bass) and Tom Fenner (drums) reconvene after some 30 years to perform their seminal album, The Clock Comes Down the Stairs and more from their back catalogue.

The band will also be awarded the IMRO | NCH Trailblazer Award 2018; a new music award presented by IMRO and NCH celebrating significant albums by iconic Irish musicians, songwriters and composers.

This concert is the first in a new series by NCH entitled ‘For the Record’ which looks to commemorate ground-breaking recordings by Irish bands charting musical history as well as exploring the artistic, social and political context of the music.

Widely regarded as the greatest Irish record ever, with John Peel describing it as “the iron fist in a velvet glove” Microdisney’s The Clock Comes Down the Stairs was released on Rough Trade records in 1985, reaching No. 1 in the UK Indie Charts

They were a little before my time, but did like Fatima Mansions.
    Think it'll be worth seeing in any case..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭mosstin

UsedToWait wrote: »
    They were a little before my time, but did like Fatima Mansions.
    Think it'll be worth seeing in any case..

I'd be firmly in the Fatima Mansions camp myself but 'The Clock Comes Down the Stairs' is a great album, very much of its time. Anything Cathal Coughlan has put his name to generally means good things, eh, apart from Bubonique.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

NCH website getting hammered with this.

Yeah - that was a bit fraught. Lost my first, preferred, set of seats on account of the site bottling out and the seat hold timing out. Managed to get a pair of alright seats after though. Looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭bullpost

Got a couple also. Very close to stage so will probably end up with s strained neck. But should be good - hopefully they'll play loftholdingswood and some of the others.

Also got sorted. Had to deal with a medical emergency (a nosebleed) as I waited for the tickets to be confirmed but got there in the end. Sold out - wonderful. I imagine this won't be the last show.

Anyway, this was my favourite gig of the year thus far. Magnificent show. Band were impeccable and Coughlan's voice was perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭bullpost

mosstin wrote: »
    Anyway, this was my favourite gig of the year thus far. Magnificent show. Band were impeccable and Coughlan's voice was perfect.

It was a magical gig. His voice was wonderful and band really good, particularly O'Hagan. Great cover to end the show also.

It will be pity if this is the last time we see them as they definitely still have a lot to offer and maybe this time round they get the acclaim they missed out on .

bullpost wrote: »
    It was a magical gig. His voice was wonderful and band really good, particularly O'Hagan. Great cover to end the show also.

It will be pity if this is the last time we see them as they definitely still have a lot to offer and maybe this time round they get the acclaim they missed out on .

I actually want this to be the only shows they do. I don't know why - something to do with the notion that they captured it all perfectly last night and that there is no need for more. I loved last night because it all felt very pure - would be absolutely satisfied if that was that. Privileged to have been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭trashcan

I thoroughly enjoyed it too. Got tickets off someone who couldn't go, so that was a bonus. I never actually owned the album, so wasn't too familiar with all of the tracks beforehand, but I thought it was great. I had heard the two subsequent albums, which they actually played very little from, only Town to Town, Singers Hampstead Home and High and Dry. I think Crooked Mile is a great album too, would have liked to hear Armadillo Man, Rack, and Big Sleeping House. No Gale Force Wind either, which was surprising. Just shows how strong their back catalogue is. I prefer Cathal as a crooner (for want of a better phrase) so some of the Fatima Mansions stuff is a bit out there for me.

Some good footage up on YouTube by the way.

Advertisement